Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taking leaves out of a 49'

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clifforddean, May 24, 2009.

1. clifforddean

clifforddean

I'm using 2" blocks and I took 2 leaves out of each spring, the springs are pretty much flat almost negative arch. Anybody do this with no problems or is 2 to many.

2. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

What '49 is in question? If it's a Shoebox Ford, I'm also interested in knowing how to do this.

3. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

which leaves did you take out??

4. 52style

52style

id like to know this too a 49 what???

5. e z i

e z i

His profile says he has a 1949 Ford business coupe, so I'm guessing
    that's what he's talking about?

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You always keep the main leaf and #2, then remove odd numbered leaves. It takes experimemntation to find the right number but it is worth it.

7. i will go on record and say i'm not a big fan of removing leafs from springs to make them sit lower. i really believe you are better off having the springs de-arched and keep the full spring pack to give support when it is needed. that doesn't cost a lot of money. about $100. this `49 ford has stock rear springs with all the leafs that were de-arched and has no lowering blocks...yet.... of course , what do i know......

[​IMG]

8. clifforddean

clifforddean

Sorry bout that ezi figured that out like a champ. Anyways I took out the 3-4. Still rides decent what I'm concerned about is any driveshaft problems, u-joint angles look alright not sure about slip yoke.