Register now to get rid of these ads!

take off tar type undercoating?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickles street chop shop, Feb 17, 2008.

1. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

previous owner put that tar stuff all on the fire wall. looks like crap. i been getting this orange citris stuff from work that cuts it pretty good. but i can only take so much. and i talked to the guys that buy it and they say it comes in a 55 gallon drum and is like $1500. so, any ideas about some other stuff.

2. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

dry ice. it will harden like a rock and flake off with a plastic putty knife

3. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

I wonder if CO2 freeze spray would work then ... advanced auto hd $1.77 engine degreaser will work if you have a power washer . it safer's than Super clean... and oven spray

4. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

Being from a state that uses a lot of salt on the roads, we see Quite a bit of that undercoating stuff on older cars. The best way I have found to remove it is with a heat gun carefully( you don't want to warp the panels) and a putty knife or wire brush of some sort. Good luck its always a hated task.

5. upzndownz

upzndownz

go to auto paint supply store they carry a remover for undercoating one brand is "under off"

6. I used a heat gun and scraper to get the worst of it off and then finished it off with paint thinners on a rag.

7. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

2 cheap helpers, 2 putty knifes and 2 cases of beer.LOL Seriously, the stuff at most paint stores to remove that crap is good. Used it one time to remove undercoating and it just kind of desolves it. Don't remember the name but I remember where I bought it. Crappy job. Thanks, BOBBY FORD

8. Been doing some fabrication on this guy's 69 SS 396 Chevelle and he shows me this tool from Snap-On that HE used to remove the factory undercoating from his project. He said he tried ALL the tip's that we all use without much progress. He bought this tool and now swears by it. He said it takes it off like magic. I personally did not try it; but I seen where he did. It cleaned it right down to the bare metal. at $414.00 List (No idea what the Snap-on man charges) it's a little $$$$. I know I would have paid that price to use on my Fairlane. Scraping undercoating/body sealer sucks big time. I added a picture and a Part# PT280THUGA for those interested... Rob

<TABLE cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=classSmallText vAlign=top align=middle height=219>[​IMG]
    View Larger Image

Image shown may not be actual
    product but represents product
    or set which includes product </TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left height=220>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=classList2><TD><FORM id=Form3 name=emailForm action=emailPage.asp method=get target=prod><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] Email a Friend <INPUT id=Hidden3 type=hidden value=power name=tool> <INPUT id=Hidden5 type=hidden value=76499 name=Item_id> <INPUT id=Hidden7 type=hidden value=PT280THUGA name=PartNo> <INPUT id=Hidden11 type=hidden value=414 name=Price> <INPUT id=Hidden12 type=hidden name=Desc> <INPUT id=Hidden13 type=hidden value=120709 name=SUB_Cat_ID> <INPUT id=Hidden14 type=hidden value="Speciality Air Tools" name=SUB_Cat_NAME> <INPUT id=Hidden15 type=hidden value=120430 name=Cat_ID> <INPUT id=Hidden16 type=hidden value="Power Tools, Air" name=Cat_NAME> <INPUT id=Hidden17 type=hidden value=13078 name=group_id> <INPUT id=Hidden18 type=hidden value="Remove-All Tool" name=group_NAME> <INPUT id=Hidden19 type=hidden value=snapon-store name=store> <INPUT id=Hidden20 type=hidden value=catalog name=dir> <INPUT id=Hidden21 type=hidden value=objects/51500/51431.JPG name=pix> <INPUT id=Hidden22 type=hidden value=true name=email> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=classSmallText>[​IMG] Tell others about this Snap-on item.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD></TR><TR class=classList2><TD>[​IMG] Add to your Wish List</TD></TR><TR><TD class=classSmallText>[​IMG] Organize your list for later reference.
    [​IMG] Plan and prioritize for future purchases.
    [​IMG] Email your wish list to friends & family.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD height=10> </TD></TR><TR class=classList2><TD><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> <!-- function printThisPage(){ if (!window.theWin || theWin.closed){ theWin = window.open("","PrintPage","HEIGHT=600,WIDTH=800,TOOLBAR=no scrollbars=3,resizable=1"); } var storename = "snapon-store" document.printForm.target = "PrintPage"; document.printForm.submit(); if (!theWin.closed) theWin.focus(); } --> </SCRIPT><FORM id=Form2 name=printForm action=printPage.asp method=get target=prod><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] Printable Page <INPUT id=Hidden1 type=hidden value=power name=tool> <INPUT id=Hidden2 type=hidden value=76499 name=Item_id> <INPUT id=Hidden4 type=hidden value=PT280THUGA name=PartNo> <INPUT id=Hidden6 type=hidden value=414 name=Price> <INPUT id=Hidden8 type=hidden name=Desc> <INPUT id=Hidden9 type=hidden value=120709 name=SUB_Cat_ID> <INPUT id=Hidden10 type=hidden value="Speciality Air Tools" name=SUB_Cat_NAME> <INPUT id=Hidden23 type=hidden value=120430 name=Cat_ID> <INPUT id=Hidden24 type=hidden value="Power Tools, Air" name=Cat_NAME> <INPUT id=Hidden25 type=hidden value=13078 name=group_id> <INPUT id=Hidden26 type=hidden value="Remove-All Tool" name=group_NAME> <INPUT id=Hidden27 type=hidden value=snapon-store name=store> <INPUT id=Hidden28 type=hidden value=catalog name=dir> <INPUT id=Hidden29 type=hidden value=objects/51500/51431.JPG name=pix> <INPUT id=Hidden30 type=hidden value=true name=email> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=classSmallText>[​IMG] Display a printer-friendly page.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FORM></TD></TR><TR><TD class=classList2>[​IMG] Bookmark Page</TD></TR><TR><TD class=classSmallText>[​IMG] Save this page to view later.</TD></TR><TR><TD height=10> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

10. Squablow

Squablow

At the body shop I used to work at, I'd heat it up with one of those little MAPP gas torches, just enough to soften it up and then you can scrape it. Heat gun would probably make it easier.

11. nickles street chop shop

nickles street chop shop
    from Edum Tejas

hahaha
    im likeing the beer and day labor idea.

ill go to the paint store and check out that stuff. thanks alot guys.

my grnadma actually told me to try dry ice though. i think she was kidding but still. weird.

12. Kurt

Kurt

I had luck with WD-40 once. Just spray it down and let it soak in and it scraped right off.

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Heat gun and a scraper. Then you can wipe off the residue with lacquer thinner.

14. Brake cleaner with a stiff bristle brush and plastic scrapers works well- my '70 Nova firewall came up nice and clean.

15. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Yep! A friend of mine uses this method , and swears by it. Cheap, too!:D

16. Ive used a rag soaked in kerosine, be sure to light a smoke first.

17. Dyce51

Dyce51
    from Ohio

you can buy that same wheel at some hardware stores for alot cheaper....you just mount it on your angle grinder...