Register now to get rid of these ads!

Take back Central AZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tri-Powerguy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I think a later start time makes sense......hell I am wimp about the heat too but if you start after dark when it cools off I could make it down.

2. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Right on! Shit, now I've got to fix SOMETHING and get down there, huh? (If I don't make a run to San Diego this weekend...)

3. Mike

Mike

Are you thinking of heading to the drags at Barona this weekend?

4. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Big maybe... was just planning a quick weekender to cool off and clear my head, but then saw the drags thread this morning. You going?

5. Mike

Mike

I'm not sure, Bonneville is only two weeks away and it's gonna be expensive. Gas for a trip to San Diego is really not in the budget.

Even so, I'm stilll considering making a bonsai run out there in the T-Bird.

6. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

I been in AZ 13 years and have never cruised my girl on Central. This is a cool little thread. I am usually out in Maricopa McDonalds with some old schoolers like Ernie that builds the Dwarf Cars. He's a nice guy. Sometimes i take her to florence or north scottsdale or pavilions etc.. Need to get her out more often

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I'm out here, man. Gonna hit the drags around noon and be a spectator deluxe... Hope to see you there!

8. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Well,,,had 4 show up for breakfast this morning. Hope more shows this evening at McDonalds.

9. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Well,,even with the later start time, only 6 show'd up saturday night & only 4 had a HAMB friendly ride. Maybe we should switch this to once or twice a month instead of every week. Sure doesnt seem like its worth it if nobody is going to show up.

10. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

12. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Hey everybody been a long week but its Saturday and time for car fun, and I sure hope to see more up on Central tonight.

13. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Anyone coming out tonight???

14. Life switched tracks on me and I am dealing with some stuff that blindsided me. Once the smoke clears and I am back on my feet I will be hanging out. Need something to do other than work, but I need an engine for my truck first.

Keith, I have thought about getting the tempest back on the road fory daily and building the truck later as I save cash.

15. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I cruised my old crewcab Ford downtown around 10 Saturday night. It was beautiful out. Even had some "tuner" kids in an Eclipse at a stoplight comment on how rare my old "quad-cab" must be... shocked the hell out of me!

16. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Well,,we changed the time to 8 pm, after sunset & we stay till 9-9:30 & still only get 2-3 people show up. Not really worth it for the couple of regulars that do show up to even come out.

What is needed to get this thing going?? Have it ony once a month?? like the 3rd saturday so people can plan ahead?? Dont want to walk away from this as it was real nice for a while & then all of a sudden, nothing. Suggestions anyone??

17. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

We are open on this, like Keith said when this was new a lot of people were into it. We are open for suggestions? Last Saturday night I did some cruising and enjoyed that, also enjoy talking cars. I was hoping that there would be some Mopar guys to pick there brain on my car. Well I sure hope we can work it out, I really enjoy my Saturday nights. This not just our deal, any ideas from everybody. Kinda fun when everybody brings different ideas, You all have a great rest of the week, hope to see you Saturday night.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm not sure what to tell you guys. I didn't think it would be that hard to get a group of people doing this regularly, but I was wrong. We sure do have a good time down there sometimes though, I'd rather not see it go.

19. Trully customs

Trully customs
    from Phoenix

I'm new on the jamb but inline in dental Phoenix and my wife works downtown. Let me reach out to some friends and see if I can't bring a few people out. I'm a younger guy but I remember cruisin central as a kid in my pops c10. Phoenix has my heart and I think there's a lot of people who feel the same and we could make this work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Trully customs

Trully customs
    from Phoenix

Sorry I just noticed my iPad corrected hamb the jamb

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. ColinCS

ColinCS

I've never been to the cruise on Central, but have heard about it from my dad who used to cruise (more like race) Central fairly regularly. Once a month I think could draw more people. Also, one thing I've noticed is Central is becoming more and more pedestrian friendly which makes cruising more difficult, and what is your normal route up and down Central? Do you guys park anywhere in particular for a show before/after the cruise?

22. ColinCS

ColinCS

Also once a month is better considering it's hot as balls outside...maybe more frequently in the winter months.

23. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Trully Customs. Central does have my heart, I had a lot of fun there. There is nothing more I would like to see than it come back again, racing and picking up on the pretty girls that made for a fun weekend. I still hope that we have a break thru, a couple car clubs anything can make it work. Just hanging around talking cars and cruising all good.

24. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I'll be back to hang with you guys in a couple weeks. Headed to Bonneville, trying to set a new XXO/PRO record with Dave's '36 Buick.

25. Good luck guys!!!

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man, I'm with you! It was always a special time being down there in the seventies and eighties era, and I bet you can guess that it's no accident that my home is just, what, 12 doors off of Central. I'm not giving up either, but I have had a damn hard summer with the heat and workload this year, not to mention a stressed out and easily pissed off female to contend with and be concerned about lately. As the weather cools, I'll be a lot more frequent, and I have a few ideas that might help boost the population 'round these parts. When Troy and I discussed this last fall at the "cruise on Central", I would have never thought it would be this hard to get folk interested in coming out again. And, it just floors me that it IS this hard to get people out here. I have heard reasons ranging from "with the light rail you can't.." (we can and do!) to "I don't see how you can live down there with all the crime.." (Huh?!) We also have a new generation that to whom a "cruise night" means lawn chairs and cry baby dolls and that want no part of that sort of deal. Gotta be a way of overcoming this stuff without the three ring circus that the twice yearly show bring to the street.

27. Benny_H

Benny_H

wow, Cant really argue with that excuse.

28. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Anyone coming out tonight? I will probably show around 8:30

29. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

I will be there, although tonight I will probably only stay about an hour been working on the car all day long. We are running finally, see you there Keith.

30. rocketsam

rocketsam
    from Phoenix,AZ

When is the next meet? The guys in the club always talk about doing this, or just going out and cruising for the hell of it, im sure they would be down to show up -Sam