Register now to get rid of these ads!

Take back Central AZ

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tri-Powerguy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Does anybody remember what the bars name was that was south of Thomas, on the east side of Central? Service Center started out south of Virginia on Central, Does anybody know what happened to the Red Baron GTO? I do remember the two guys Larry & the guy that owned the GTO, Then they moved up to Central just below Camelback, and that was Larry and Jerry. ( Right )?

2. [​IMG]

Hi Tri-Power guy. Yes, I do remember the Red Baron '66 GTO. As I can remember, it ran 12.20s in the mid to late 70s which was quick at the time. I also remember what he had painted on the deck lid, do you? Does anyone? Just curious. Will wait a bit to see if anyone remembers.
    as to what happend to the Red Baron? I now own it, it is in my collection and still wears its 70s lettered paint job. It is in poor condition. I saved it from the crusher about 10 years ago from a salvage yard, loader her up on the my trailer and took it to my place, Pontiac Heaven where it sits with other past and present Pontiac race cars including the 1968 Tyree Firebird AA/Fuel funny car..
    On the good side, the 'Baron' is restorable and not rusty but, will need most of its sheet metal replaced. Years back, I had it documented and it was built new as a 4bbl 389, 4 speed in Reef Turquiose with matching interior.

Hope this was helpful to you.
    Steve

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

I would rather eat worms than run an automatic. I went into the shop one day and ask Larry where and I can't remember what his name is, he said vacation and I said OOHH I thought he might be home eating worms. The whole speed shop busted up laughing and told him about it when he got back, he would not talk to me for months my GTO is a automatic LoL

4. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

P.S. Somebody had told me they seen it at a Desert Valley is that were you saved it from?

5. Amber596

Amber596
    from uda

Oh yeah... I sorted out the cooling issue with the truck last weekend so maybe this time I'll actually "go-cruisin"![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Very interesting story and yes, that is how I remember the deck lid logo. Cool that you had a part in it. Would you, or anyone, have any pics of that car from the day?

7. Correct, yes, it was in their old yard before they moved and it was headed to the crusher pile. I talked to the owner, forgot his name, maybe it is Jason?
    I had him go out to the area in his yard where the car was. He said to me " you want this?" I said, yup, so we made the deal and I saved another one from the scrapper. It's future is undecided ( restoration, race car again, or?) but, it will live on and not be scrapped. It is a real GTO and worth saving, even if it takes decades to find the right buyer, I am patient on matters like that. I doubt anyone else would have thought to save it.

8. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

I will have to see if I can find Larry sometime he would probably have pictures, I remember in the speed shop they had a bunch. If I can ever find Larry I will give it my best shot. Wonder why the guy gave up on it, or whoever he sold it to? thanks for the info glad to know its still here. I went to look at it but it was sometime later, and it was not there. Glad to know you saved it

9. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Wow they fixed the lights at Mickey D's, the parking lot is bright. Lets bring some cars down and get some good pics. on the hamb. AppleKrate is the Baron really for sale, might have a Buddy interested then maybe not. If he asks I would like to give him and answer, Can you send me a pic so I can show it to him. You all have a great week and let try for a good turn out under the lights.

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn, you guys called it quits early tonight!

11. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

You just show'd up late! Good luck in the AM with Judy!!

12. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

How has the week been, and who's coming up on Central Saturday night? It looks like it will be a nice night for a get together, hope to see you all there.

P.S. Applekrate did we ever come up with some pics of the Red Baron

13. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Am going to Prescott in the am,,,may be back in time!

14. here is a current pic.

[​IMG]

ya know, I could go a hamburger, maybe I will make the drive to Central tonight in my primered 66 GTO. Will Keith be there?
    The only bad thing is from Maricopa to Central and then back to Maricopa and back to the GCC swap Sunday morning. ...

15. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Yes cool it would be nice to have a GTO in the group, hope to see ya there.

16. TriPower guy and others- It was nice to meet and chat with you all for awhile. Keith good to see you as well.
    It was a strange night, lots of homosexuals running around. Something about a 'pride' ralley in the area whcih makes no sense to me but,..
    Anyway, glad to learn it is not always that way.
    Looking forward to hanging out another time when things are back to normal.

17. Last years cruise on central that was rescheduled because of the rain was on the same day as the pride parade. I thought there were a few more people than normally for the central cruise, but when I seen the hand holding and kissing things started to add up.

18. Is everyone gonna try and meet at the usual spot this weekend for the cruise.

19. My understanding is McDonalds recognized the event by offering fruit pies at half price that day.

20. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Yes I will be there about 4:00, I have to go to Park Central and see some friends but will end up at McDonalds. 4 Pontiac's in the parking lot last Saturday night ( Cool ), AppleKrate I enjoyed the story about the Pontiac monster truck and good meeting you. Looking forward to Saturday, everybody have a great week.

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Seems only right! :D

Attached Files:

22. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Wow what a night, this was one of the better cruises I believe. I really wish we could just get half of that back every Saturday, well we will keep trying. We sure have a good time at McDonalds come on down guys, lets see what we can do? You all have a great week, Fun Fun Fun.

23. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Did anybody get any pics of Saturday.

24. I got there at 8 just as the southbound lanes were shut down just after McDonalds and before jack in the box

25. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Looking forward to Saturday, I know it won't be as big as last Saturday but its still fun.

26. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Its so hard to believe that we could be having so much fun the week before and, not want to continue that fun the following week? Well I still had fun talking the the guys that did show and for those that didn't. Come on guys lets enjoy ourselves at Mickey D's and talk shop or whatever. You guys have a great week, see ya Saturday.

27. I can't believe more people didn't stop by to see my sweet trailer. Oh well, their loss. See you next week!

28. I should have a few bucks I can put in my gas tank this week. I will try.

29. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

Hey Applekrate are you going to be at the Metro Center deal on Saturday, if you are I will bring Mikes Picture book. I think it has your Catalina in it not sure is it maroon, but there are a lot of GTOs that you will reconize. Have good week guys.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  30. Tri-Powerguy

Tri-Powerguy
    from Phoenix

The nights are getting good for getting the car out and enjoying a burger on Central, come and join us guys we had a good time shootin the SH*T last Saturday. Bring some new stories to kick around. Does anybody know Larry that used to run Service Center?