Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Take a Check for your car???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mx6262, Jun 9, 2010.

1. mx6262

mx6262

Anyone out there ever taken a CK and let your ride leave with the new owner????

I just got ask to do that????:eek:

2. troylee

troylee

hell no. I even look cash over real good anymore.

3. John Denich

John Denich

HAHAHA your Joking right.....no really...your joking!

4. micahmelanson

micahmelanson
    from Vinton, LA

I manage a store and we cash some checks for some of our better customers. If we aren't real sure on a check, we call the bank to verify funds. Most banks do this and it is a free service. I would verify funds before letting the car go.

5. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Getting a check and the car leaving are two unrealted activities! If I am at the bank and the bank is issuing the check because the new owner has taken a loan out perhaps, but otherwise NO. No one in their right mind wouldexpect you to either!

I am in Garner NC were ic Cornelius NC?

6. zzford

zzford

Sure! But, I believe in the Easter bunny, too.

7. Mainline54

Mainline54

Tell him you'll take a check but he will need a deposit of the full amount of the car plus 10%, 4 forms of ID, Mothers maden name, and proof of mental eval.

8. I never have, I once hassled the wealthy owner of a Harley Davidson Dealership in WA for giving me a bank draft late on a Saturday written on the dealership account for one of my old triumphs when we agreed on cash before he could take her away.

9. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Depends on the amount...up to $100.00, sure, for a parts car. Over that, definitely no.

R-

10. scotsmerc64

scotsmerc64

Sounds like someone's about to get bamboozalled.

11. If someone offered me a check, I'd offer them a pencil drawing of the car.

12. brad chevy

brad chevy

tell him to go to the bank and bring back cash especially if hes kin to you.cash talks and bullshit walks!

13. Hooptologist

Hooptologist

Two words,,, WIRE TRANSFER!!! I sell cars to people out of state and even overseas, nothing leaves my driveway unless I have been paid in full, a wire transfer is the fastest and easiest way for everyone

14. You guys are making me nervous. Took a check for $1,400 today for tools.
    It's in the bank. We'll see.

15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

a what ? ? ? Small unmarked bills only .
    trust me ...iam a lawyer

16. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

only once....back in HS....it was a check from his DAD....and my dad was the town banker and standing right there.

Otherwise...quart of blood, firstborn....and maybe, just maybe...a "peepee touch" from his girlfriend.

dj

17. Only if they're over 80 years old, and accompanied by a grandparent...

18. Yeah I'll take a check. But the car won't leave or the parts until it clears the bank and I can put the cash in my hand. So no I don't.

19. NumbNutz

NumbNutz

Beware also of Cashiers Checks also. Our bank told us the originator of the cashiers check can cancel the check or put a hold on it even after it is issued.

20. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I actually did take a check the last time I sold a car.

We had negotiated a cash price and the guy was something like $120 short of having that much cash on him. I watched him make his wife dig through her purse and I got everything except the loose change, but they were still short.

I figured in the overall scheme of things if the check wasn't any good I'd get over it. But the check cleared the bank fine and this was about a year ago so it appears to have come out okay.

If he wanted to use a check for the full amount we'd have had a different ending to the story.

21. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Only that green linen with the pictures of the dead presidents.

22. hemifarris

hemifarris

I'll take cash only.It's the fastest. Wire transfers can sometimes get screwed up. I just sold my roadster to a friend in California and the wire transfer still took 2 days to clear, plus it cost my buddy $24.00 to send and it cost me $16.00 to accept..........

23. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Never asked for that one before, now I need to sell something so I can try it? If its a check you take the check to HIS bank and cash it, then let him take the car. If his bank is in Nigieria, open a account just for his check (1 time deal) wait 30 days after it clears transfer the $$ then maybe let him take the car!

24. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Cash only, but I would want a bank to verify it was not funny money before the car left my property.

25. My statment to the buyer would be
    "You want to pay me with WHAT?"

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cash only, period, and I take the buyer to the bank with me. That way, if there is any "funny money" (and there has been), it is caught right there.

27. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

now that I think about it if I'm going to buy a car or even parts, I know how much I want to spend and have cash in hand. I wouldnt even think about offering a check, except maybe to hold until I could get the cash.

28. falfas55

falfas55

I took one from a guy that I knew.I knew for sure that he had more than enough money to cover it.But as a rule,No not a good idea.Watch for cashiers checks also.Like R.Seghi says,The car and parts stay here until checks have cleared.FALFA

29. cheveey57

cheveey57

"In God we trust" ALL others PAY cash!!