Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tailpipes on taildragger

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by StefanS, Oct 25, 2014.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Anybody know who's setup this is? I realize it's not actually a split exhaust but I'm wondering if it would keep the deeper tone of my exhaust? Could run it like this to lakes (opened of course) and have the full exhaust sound to both pipes or would it be really quiet? Screenshot_2014-12-12-07-15-53.png

2. I can't sat exactly what your car will sound like, but we did an Eleanor exhaust on a 6 cyl mustang. With a true split it sounded like a couple pissed off bumble bees. So it went 2 into 1, thru 1 glass pack then split out the sides. The second configuration was 1000 times better.
    It went from eeew to damn that sounds good.

3. ACinSD

ACinSD

I have a '49 that damn near lays the frame on the ground. Why don't you put an air bag setup in the car and solve your problems. You can run lower when wanted, get the cool looking parked stance, raise it up when you want to slide a jack underneath to get some work done. And, it'll ride super nice...like really nice. Regarding exhaust, I have lakes pipes as well as mufflers and clam shell exhaust tips running out the back. I installed some electric cutouts and have the best of both worlds; nice and quiet out the back or 'check me out' out of the lakes pipes. Your neighbors will thank you :)

4. jcs64

jcs64

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    these are mounted pretty low and they've never hit ground yet!
    (theyre so low, people have tripped on them :)

jeff

5. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I considered doing bags but I'm trying to get the car built on a budget. The link setup, rear bags/mounts, compressor, tank and lines would cost more than doing my entire suspension with a static drop. I'm thinking of pulling a leaf or two and adding blocks for now and stepping the lower arms with Buffalo modded uprights. Later on since I'll already have the Gambino notches, I was thinking of adding Caprice rear coils to the upper notch cross braces where people mount the bags...that is unless the leaf/block setup rides decently. I guess at that time I'd still need a link setup but I'd still be saving on all the other bag components. Also if for some reason a bag fails, I'd be immobile

6. missysdad1

missysdad1

The real beauty of the HAMB is that the old guys with lots of experience have the opportunity to share what they've learned with the newbies. But this only works if the newbies listen.

With 3 - 4 inches of ground clearance and your pipes extending 2 inches beyond the bumper...or with sidepipes, for that matter...the only way you are going to keep from eventually damaging the exhaust is to leave the car in your driveway and take the bus.

voodookustoms and SicSpeed like this.
  7. Funny as hell!!!!!

8. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

MY 54 Has 2 inch lowering blocks and 2 inch lowering springs in the rear , my pipes are about 3 inches off the ground with plenty of clearance and rides very well also ! Good luck : Kenny G .

9. dan31

dan31

If you are going to static drop it you don't need coils, cross braces, two piece drive shafts or any of that stuff. You can just do 2 3/4" lowing blocks , 3" posie drop springs and put in your step notch. The more you hang the pipes out past the bumper the more you decrees your departure angle- they gonna hit. Just try to keep them up high and stop just past the edge of your bumper . If your that low they are going to hit every now and then , but whatever-it's a custom.

10. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

The measurement between my torque tube and trans tunnel is only about 6" or so so if I use a 1 piece shaft and lower the rear 5" I'll hit like crazy (or is a regular shaft that much more narrow than the torque tube?)

11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Is George Carlin a Hamber? I thought for a minute I had picked up my George Carlin book. Now that's funny as hell.

12. dan31

dan31

To be honest I don't know the actual measurement difference between the torque tubes and a open rear but my 54runs the above mentioned set up and the driveshaft doesn't hit the tunnel but I will say I couldn't go any lower without changing everything. I just wanted to go as low as I could without air bags and stuff bottoming out.

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Do you have any side view pics?