Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taillight wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Jul 10, 2010.

1. I have searched but didn't come up with what I was looking for so...

I had origianlly planned on running seperate Brake and signal lights (2 different sockets) but have switched to a single assembly and now I think I have to change the wiring and just want to double check and see if what I think I have to do is correct.

I am using a seven wire turn siganl switch in the system as well.

Origianlly I had a lead coming from the fuse blok to one side of the brake switch and then the other side of the brake switch was run straight to the back. I think all I have to do is run that second wire that ran to the back off the brake switch back to the signal light switch.

If I do that then I think I just need to run the two leads off the turn signal switch back to the tail lights and the wire I already had for clearance lights to the other side of the taillight assembly.

Does this sound right or am I completely out to lunch?

I hate wiring!!!!

Thanks for any and all help.

2. F&J

F&J

Most older US cars used a double filiment bulb on each side in the back.

They only need 3 wires. (if the sockets are self grounding)

One wire for tail lights and marker lights

One wire for right brake AND signal

One wire for left brake and signal.

It sounds like you have the correct turn sig switch to do it that way. Inside the switch, the connections change a brake wire to become a signal wire when you move the signal lever... so, you need one wire to the brake switch that has power all the time, then the other wire on the brake switch goes into the signal switch.

When all is wired correctly, If the signal is turned on for left or right, and you hit the brake, you will have one steady brake light on, and the other side bright filiment will be flashing.

hope you can follow my way of explaining it :)

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

All depends on the type of turn signal switch. IF it has a "brake switch in" wire and 4 separate wires one for each corner of the car, you're good to go.

4. big creep

big creep

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

Yes. You are correct. I just did the same thing on the 33.

6. Thanks guys I think I am on the right path now much appreciated! big creep thanks for the link very helpful.