Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs taildragger motors? what was common?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by punkabilly1306, Jul 12, 2009.

1. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I've been searching a lot lately on taildraggers from the 30's and 40's and as bad ass as most of them are they really dont go into detail on what powers them. Obviously the goal of a taildragger was the looks but i was wondering what was a common engine or swap or did they just use stock and dress it up a little?

2. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

The engines are/were not mentioned because most of them were stock, or very mildly warmed over. Common engine swaps in the late 40searly50s would have been a stock olds/cad in place of a flattie, or stovebolt.
    Milled heads and a couple of carbs would have been a big deal in the 30s-40s for a taildragger in most cases. Not to say that guys didn't have built motors in some cars, but most taildraggers/customs were not 'hot rods'.

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

thanks, that is pretty much what i was thinking. I know a commom merc swap is the cadillac for the '49-'51s but im new to the "taildragger" era so didn't know what was traditional. As i stated i figured the cars were more about the look then the engine, as it was just something that moved it.