Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tail Lights/Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkey, Mar 17, 2008.

1. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

Hey gang,

Another newbie with a trouble shooter question...
    I'm sittin' on a 54' Ford...My first car. Trying to get her ready for the round-up and quickly running out of time...Finally figured out the carb problems, but running through the routine checks to pass inspection so the state troopers don't have the easy PC to pull me over. I've got juice to the tail lights but no brake lights. press on the brakes, and they mechanically function, but no change in brightness on the bulbs. the switch on the master cyl. is new. The elect. sys. is now 12V and I have switched the bulbs... Please tell me there's something stupidly simple That I'm missing.

Now, I admit, I need to unwrap the wiring to follow the wires and check to see that everything is still intact, but haven't done that yet because the tail lights are connected and getting power...Also the front grill has still not been put back on. This holds the front parking/turnsignals...Would this have any relevance?

Just hoping someone out there may have had and resolved this problem....It's got to be simple enough...

Please help if you can.

GreaseMunkey

"If it ain't a Safety Hazard, why drive it?"

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Do you have turn signals in the back that work?
    If so then wiring or directional signal switch is bad.

Try checking the stoplight switch for power. If there, then jumper the two terminals. If stoplights now work, then bad switch or is plugged up where the fluid actuates the switch.

If no power at switch then check fuse block for bad fuse. If bad fuse, then check for short across non power terminal of stoplight switch to ground, of course with the back stoplight bulbs removed. If shorted then correct the wiring short.

Hope this helps you get started.