Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tail light reflectors, white or silver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Ok, so all the factory chrome has peeled off my tail light reflectors. One side is marginal, the other is coated with tin foil. I remember hearing somewhere(it may have even been here) that painting the reflectors flat white will actually make the light appear brighter through the lense than silver will. So, should I paint them white, paint them silver, or try to lay more tinfoil in them? Thanks for the input.

2. Mutt

Mutt

I sprayed mine with refrigerator white epoxy enamel. Very glossy. Big improvement.

Mutt

3. DrJ

DrJ

White is more reflective than gray/silver.

Another trick, if it'll fit your housing, is a drilled out trimmed to fit flashlight reflector behind the bulb.

4. We discussed this a while back and Digger Dave shared some tests he'd run.

White paint in the taillight housing was more reflective than anything else.

I'm guessing that gloss white would be better than flat white.

lemondana likes this.

5. Yep, white. Do a search for Digger Dave and tailight.

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Flat white'd the taillight reflectors on my 60 Buick when I swapped the 59 lenses and housings on, made a BIG difference.

7. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I used aluminum cup cake linners with a hole cut out for the bulb to fit thru. Works good for me and no over spray.

8. Crestliner

Crestliner

I am trying the reflective tape thet is used on trucks and trailers. It is bright,just don't know how it will hold up.

9. old beet

old beet

White is the best!! Oh shit, I sound like a racist??????.....OLDBEET

10. Bugman

Bugman

I knew it had been discussed here before, but I've had problems searching recently. Anyway, I did a side by side comparison on my tail lights, and the white was much brighter that the tin foil. The lense was lit more evenly too, no sharp bright spots and dim spots. I used flat white, because that's what I had handy. I tried to get a pic, but it didn't turn out so well. Thanks for the info gang.

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Bah... Black primer looks better than white :eek: :D