Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tail light problems 48 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vic Tocco, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Vic Tocco

Vic Tocco

Morning all. I have 48 Ford coupe. It's still 6 volt. Passenger side tail light. When only the tail light wire is connected with bulb installed power comes back thru the unplugged brake light wire of the tail light housing. Bulb won't light unless brake light wire is connected. Bulb only lights up on tail light side of bulb even when applying the brake.

2. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the tail light housing has a bad or no ground.

Phil

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Look closely at the bulb - one filament possibly has dropped onto the other causing the feedback. It happens once in a while.

4. inthweedz

inthweedz

Yep, what 302GMC said, had the same problem with an OT vehicle.. Stop tail bulb had a broken tail light fillament which had fallen across the brake light filament..

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Probably ground issues with tail light housing. 6 volts are really touchy with the grounds.I had a similar problem with the '50 Chevy, I installed a lead wire from my offending tail light housing for a ground to the body, works fine. You may see if you have rust causing it not to get a proper ground.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. morac41

morac41

Bad Earth (ground)

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Had same issue with my '47 coupe. Bad ground.

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

DC voltage runs in a circular motion in your auto + to - or -to+ depending on if you have pos or neg ground system . The current flows through the bulb and back to ground . If there is a bad ground or wires touching current goes to least resistance to return to the battery , this is where the term “ short circuit “ comes from . The current is not completing the designed path of flow through the bulb correctly it finding the easiest path to ground through the remaining element to ground . Damn . I hope this makes it easier to understand . Just get yourself a good clean ground and it will cure itself .