Register now to get rid of these ads!

tail light lens modification, what glue to use ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zapato, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Trying/wanting to join 2 different ford tail lights for my 57 ford. have cut out the center of a stock 57 lens and then coming in from behind with a later falcon tail light. Super glue did nothing but frost the lens. Should I try model glue or is there something else that has a greater chance of working?

Mocked up it looks great, and a bit different from the often used Galaxie lenses.

2. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Try ultraviolet glass glue.

3. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

4. Heo2

Heo2

Acetone melts the plastic and glue it together

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

methyl methacrylate glue. Stores that sell acrylic plastic sheet will have it.

6. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

Clear silycone, (silicone)

7. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

I use IPS Weld On 3 which has a watery constancy or Weld On 16 which is thicker and doesn't run like the watery stuff does. Both work really well, and I usually get it from Amazon.

8. BJR

BJR

Take an old plastic lens or a broken lens and put the pieces in a jar with some acetone. It will melt the plastic and you will have red colored glue. The more plastic you melt in the acetone the thicker the glue will be. If you use clear turn or parking lite lens you will have clear glue.

9. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Do an internet search for a product called Weld On 16. It is an acrylic plastic cement. I used it 4 years ago when I made Lucite fins for my 56 Packard tailights. It works great, the pieces of plastic are fused together, I haven't had a single issue with breakage or separation.

Edit: just saw echoofgecko's post..I echo his sentiment

10. Seems like a job for good'ol model glue .... gotta be 18 to buy it .... and no huffing!

11. Cymro

Cymro

12. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

x 3. Then used modellers red translucent paint to cover any clue joins.

:cool:

13. silicone wont hold up to uv turns yellow

14. el caballo loco

el caballo loco
    from colorado

Now THAT illustrates the value of the HAMB! I had no idea acetone would do that. great info to have man, thanks.

15. Cymro

Cymro

I should qualify the above by saying that one of my Senior students a couple of years ago designed and constructed a bespoke wall unit with an inbuilt acrylic fish tank using the EMA cement ( it is also good for emergency spectacle frame repairs and various other plastic repairs)

The only downside is that the component parts need to be an excellent fit, as the "glue" is a solvent and not a gap filler.

16. A23

A23
    from Hollywood

Silly me. I thought the lenses were glass.

Carry on.