Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tail Light Ideas For My 40 Chevy Business coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tattedkat, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Which Tail Lights Would Look Bad Ass On My 40 Chevy? Thanks.

2. Definitely the ones in the middle.

3. Paint

Paint

I like the round ones.

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

40 Chevrolet taillamps look right and fit right on your 40. The lenses are tapered to face straight backward on the curve of the body.
    Sometimes the stock thing is the right thing, this is one of those times.

5. Maybe Original Is The Way To Go On This One. Thanks Guys.

6. An Idea

Attached Files:

7. yekoms

yekoms

8. Paint

Paint

no......

9. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

you can french the taillights they look pretty cool that way. i know that is 60s way but not bad looking.

11. That made me throw up a little in my mouth.

I vote stock tail lights also. I've seen many things tried but nothing looks better than the stock ones and they won't lose their appeal like the 'fads' such as the one shown in that pic-yes, someone at one time thought that looked pretty cool.

12. I think racingonerobb above was just being sarcastic..at least I hope so! Seems like stock '40 tailights would be most appropriate for you. Sometimes just trying to be "different" is not always a good thing.

13. Ironswims

Ironswims
    from Illinois

15. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I agree.... there are just some stock tail lights that work.... the '40 Chevy is one of them.

Oh sure you can custom them.... way back when I frenched in ones from '65 Chevy in my '40 Chevy ..... because back in the day ya used what ya had and mine did not have an tail lights in it when I got the car & I had some from a '65 laying around.

I wanted to use mid-50's Vette tail lights but even back then they were pretty pricey. Even today with off shore re-pops the tariff for them is even pricier.....
    [​IMG]
    Also wanted to add '59 Caddy tail lights to the Vette housings....
    [​IMG]

Classic tail lights like ''40/41 Willys - 50 Poncho - '59 Caddy & mid-sixties Corvette just to name a few will work "frenched" or NOT will work on practically anything. Just take your time .....

You can also ask the "photo shop" guys to help your out .....
    Check out their thread @: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300531&highlight=photo+shop

Check out the "GOOGLE SEARCH RESULTS" for Vintage Custom Tail Lights..... only 5 million hits..... have FUN looking!!!! Ha!!!!!
    http://www.google.com/search?q=custom+tail+light+pictures&hl=en&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=hPzRT5fZPObV0QHRxZjyAg&ved=0CH4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=715#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=vintage+custom+tail+light+pictures&oq=vintage+custom+tail+light+pictures&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=img.12...122525.126039.0.128365.8.8.0.0.0.0.96.527.8.8.0...0.0.VaQUdzziD5E&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=817a6a1afaab3c22&biw=1280&bih=715

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

I saw a beautiful '47 coupe, with molded fenders and '50 Merc tail lights.
    Maybe that would work.

17. Now this car had bad assedness as in the ass of this car is bad or could look better bad assedness.

As many have alread said 40 chevy or maybe '41 chevy tail lights look real good on them.

18. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

Here's a little something unique. Its the rear of a 1939 Chevy Roadster (made by Holden in Australia) with a single horizontal stop lamp. I wonder if you did something similar with a 41-48 Chevy lamp below the trunk in the filler panel...and left the fenders & rest of the rear smooth. Something different for sure.

Or else the originals look great!

[​IMG]

19. x2. '40 Cehvy taillights are among the best-loooking of all time. As Pasadenahotrod noted about the taper of the lens, plus it's a neat, simple, and clean design that fits the body like it was made for it, because it was.