Register now to get rid of these ads!

tack welding "RANT"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skratch, May 9, 2007.

1. skratch

skratch

what the "F" is the deal with this ?tack welding..bull shit.i see more and more.a couple tacks every couple inches..and then mar glass or bondo over it.what is that ?crap !!if you're going to do it.do it right ! weld the damn thing..my buddy had a car that nearly all the sheet metal was tack welded and bondoed.it rattled like a snake..the tacks are braking that's why..you have never seen anything like that from the factory.so why would it be exceptable ?

tack a tack a

2. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Orange tic tacs are tasty.

Oh yeah, and now the factory uses some epoxy to glue panels on. wtf :confused:

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Why are you telling at me...your just like my father!!!

4. thrasher

thrasher

if the tack welds were breaking, the paint around the pannel would be chipping and cracking. either you have a rattle somewhere else or he was one shitty welder. btw your not suposed to just do a few tacks then bondo over, you should tack untill you have a solid weld, then grind it down.

5. skratch

skratch

that's what i'm talking about..the tack a tack a then bondo..who does that ?

i've been seeing it alot lately..it's not finished,it's not professional and it's not safe..

6. ugh...that should cause the filler/bondo to start cracking too. I've seen a couple of the new students down at the local college do that, and then get their ass chewed by the instructor...

7. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

for the record, the glue the factories are now using is stronger then the spot welds they usually use. I saw a test where two pieces of sheetmetal were glued together and they used a frame rack to pull the metal apart. It ripped the sheet metal, and the glue was still holiding strong. They also set off an airbag on the shop floor. that was fun times...

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds an awful lot like some jacklegs are getting into the business and slapping shit together just to get it out the damn door. You know skratch, if you just give that 1% more you stand head and shoulder above the rest. It's good to hear you being apalled by such things, means you would do it right as a matter of course instead of after getting caught like some other fuckers.

9. floored

floored

Grumman has been glueing pannels on busses for over 20 years. I knew a guy that used it to put partial quarters on a 69 camaro, and they held for years or forever, he sold the car.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I tack tack tack but then I tack so much the tacks are all tacked together until no more tacks......................._____________ !

11. skratch

skratch

i've used that glue..3M makes it.it's great.

most wouldn't think to use it.that would be better than smearing bondo or seam sealer in the cracks of the tacks...

i agree ,that several tacks makes one weld.that's the only way you can weld sheet metal..with any type of welder.

12. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Some of those SEM adhesives are pretty strong. For what it's worth, the fuselage on the new Boeing 787 is glued together.

13. SHRUM

SHRUM

For what it's worth, the fuselage on the new Boeing 787 is glued together.

Thanks for that. Vacation is OFF!

14. skratch

skratch

just so you know..this rant isn't about glue..

it's about shity tack welds.

so,if you tack weld like shit or you've seen some shity tack welds holding "nice" cars together..lets here about it...

15. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

The problem with shitty welds and shitty work for that matter is
    two fold: First is the threat to life and limb. Second is that of the
    laws brought into being by law suits for the losses brought on
    when someone's p.o.s. Hot Rod or Kustom flys apart on the
    street or stacks into someone killin' or wipen' out their property.
    Politicians love to run with this shit 'cuz it grabs headlines and
    gets votes. The day could come where it's illegal to work on
    your own automobile in this state/country.
    The answer is EDUCATION! showin 'a guy what's wrong with a
    bad weld, a bad job. The HAMB is doin'a yeoman's job of gettin'
    the word out that bad work is just that, bad!

Swankey Devils C.C.

16. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

I can think of someone's car...but I won't name names.

The case of people using masking tape over body seams and then just slaping bondo on top.

Then there is that whole rust repair with news papper and kitty hair that I see allot.

Oh and my personal fave, seen allot at Veags and the Blessing. frames held together with bird shit welds and bailing wire.

Yep all kinds of quality work goin' on.

17. mustangsix

mustangsix

Obviously a person with a sheetrock background. :)

O/T, BTW the last time I did sheetrock, I used glue instead of screws. Much faster, less taping, less spackling.

18. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

How about when you get your new car only to dicovered it's been patched up with aluminum facing & rivets, with a hearty helping on bondo on top! That drives me fucking nuts becuase you know they spent more time shaping that 2" thick blob of filler than they would have actually welding in a fucking patch!

19. screwtheman

screwtheman

Monkey see. Monkey do.

20. OutLaw

OutLaw

I've seen that a few times before. Car looked really solid till I sanded it it down. I'm with you scarry

21. born2wrench

born2wrench

BTW Semi trucks are being epoxied together too. Supposedly its stronger than a weld. Thank you MOPAR for glued cars. Chrysler was the first to do that.

Also I had a Rustang that was done up with the tack welds and Bondo. I can relate.

22. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I bet people think tacks are fine because stock body panels are just spotwelded together, but its not the same thing.
    The OEM lap joint makes a big difference in that the welds are away from the edge and supported by the surrounding metal, thus limiting tear out in normal use.
    Tack, tack, tacking stuff together isn't really the right way either, unless your skilled enough to do it without coldlapping the joint...and thats hard.
    MIG's are funny things...they SEEM easy and forgiving but they'll bite your ass if your not careful.
    There are many situations where good old Oxy/acetylene fusion welding would result in a better job.

The OEM use of structural adhesives, usually in combination with resistance spot welding, was an excellent decision that results in less overlapped seam rusting, stiffer bodys and fewer water leaks/rattles/road noise.
    No reason it can't be used the same way in Hot Rods...on low stress panels and seams anyway!

23. Yea that's really messed up.
    Everyone knows its pop rivets and bondo not tack welds and bondo.

24. Thats how I do it, and thats how all the body shops I've worked for do it.

25. skratch

skratch

i had a car in my shop.the whole floor was covered in sheets of fiberglass and epoxy..after that was all pulled up.i could get to all the road signs,roof flashing and hundreds of screws. and nails ?

yes.i said ,nails.

26. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Dooood, don't you know that all the kewl kidz are using stolen road signs and roof flashing nowadays? That way, when their piece o shit rat rod flys apart on the freeway, the media can't say it was another dangerous hot rod...it will all look like normal freeway junk scatered across the road.

27. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

'bout twenty five years ago I get a call from a buddy of mine in
    the insurance business. He's a professional witness, a guy who
    gets called when a body shop royally fucks up and a car flys to
    pieces on the highway, after being repaired by shop. He says ''
    ya gotta see this one" I drove over to check it out...... a late
    model, at the time, Honda Pubic 4dr. sedan with the roof cut
    off. The fire department had to cut the roof off to get the pass-
    engers out, when the vehicle drove over some rail road tracks
    and buckled in the middle trapping the occupants. The thing had
    been clipped, after having been nailed in the ass, and "repaired"
    using zip screws, calking/seam sealer and plastic filler (Bondo)!

Swankey Devils C.C.

28. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Its a little hard to tell, but the whole floor pan in this '34 Hudson was tacked in every 5 inches. Was also just hammered to fit school bus and truck bed floor. As far as I know, it had no other crossmembers/rocker panels or anything. Oil-Canned like hell.

Was on an S-10 frame (without fenders) and flat black, typical "Rat RAWD". Owner was a pretty cool guy, wanted to redo the car, as he'd bought it this way, and planned on making it decent. Exterior sheetmetal is actually pretty solid, but everything else is garbage.

29. cretin

cretin

Damn straight!

30. cretin

cretin

HA HA HA