Register now to get rid of these ads!

tack strips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by signalsteve, Mar 5, 2011.

1. signalsteve

signalsteve
    from NH

Is there a product that replaces missing tack strip for installing interiors?

someone remove the originals and need something to tack to. thanks for any info on this matter

2. Any Upholstery Supply should have what you need....

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think lots of replacement tack strips are now made of a plastic material.
    You can also try' www.restorationspecialties.com They have lots of good stuff.

4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

5. Smokey2

Smokey2

Ole' Time "working good!" Tack strips............House wiring....two wire.....Tack into Center!!

Worked great on 42 Cont. Conv. TOP!
    Ole' Time, Guy,,,,,Gave me the Fix.

Smokin' , (Twice on Saturdays!).......IN THA' SMOKIES.

6. If all else fails.just use a 1/4 thick piece of leather....you can screw or glue it in first...if its metal like over head for headliners,,the product is called "Ply-grip". Furniture uses it

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Use bodyside moulding. I buy it by the rolls at swapmeets.

8. Squablow

Squablow

That's what I use on convertible tops as well to replace the folded up cardboard tack strip shit they come with stock. Works great, it's 5/8" wide with a self adhesive back on it. You can rivet it in place with aluminum rivets if you want, that's what I do. Takes a cut tack really well. The stock shit was garbage when it was new.

9. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I used the 5/8 x 1/8 hard rubber stuff from LeBaron in my 32 sedan. Works great, 85 cents a foot.

10. Mac_55

Mac_55

When i ran out i just cut fan belts into quarter inch thick strips. Fan belts work really good because you can drill them and pop rivet them in placeand they match the hard rubber tack strip almost identicle .

11. Mac_55

Mac_55

Or you could always use a serpentine belt and just cut it down the middle so you have two equal widths and just stack them to get your thickness . THey work good.

12. Rs2

Rs2

keyston bros.

13. Gator

Gator

My upholstery guru Ray Eller told me he uses caulk (can't remember exactly which, I'll check tomorrow - urethane maybe?) to fill in areas where the tack strip backing is missing - said it holds tacks and staples great.