Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tachometer size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Ok I have a question, I have a hole in the dash that had a newer tach (didn’t fit the hole too well either) and want an old tach.....don’t want to weld up the hole just yet.

The hole is 2.58, it needs to have a bezel and installed from the front (as the hole isn’t perfectly round) my football and Faria tachs are too big.......what can I use?

Tia

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

you can't make the hole bigger? many tachs are 3-3/8", if you can't fit one of them, you'll have to find an odd, older tach that will fit, and figure out how to make it work. Often the wiring is hard to figure out.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sun Super mini tach is traditional and 2 5/8". No sender required. Frequently available on eBay.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Someone cut the lighter hole out in a ‘56 3100 dash. Cut it out more and it’s too close to the dash top and radio hole to look right. I’ll fill the hole later but now it has pretty good paint.

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

Wouldn't consider a new Bosch Tach as they look out of place on our old cars.

7. squirrel

squirrel

yes, they do.

You could put something besides a tach in the hole, and put a tach on the column or dash. Anything round could go in that hole, you know. Maybe a Ball jar lid, or something more appropriate?

8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fill the hole with a clock and ad a column mounted tach?

9. I was thinking of that, but to me any other gauge except for a clock would look odd. I have a WWII bomber clock but it's too small...maybe a boost gauge.....because when the stock 261 winds up you need to hold on to something :D:p.

partsdawg likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

I bet the hole would work to hold an empty cup :)

11. rudestude

rudestude

Some one say tachs......[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]...that last one, or the few last ones...it measures 2 5/8 "...... I have others seems like I might have some more small ones I will look....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app