Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tach wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Dec 13, 2014.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I attached photos of a two tachs that are identical to the ones I have. The stewart warner one says it needs a sender but one didn't come with it new. So what does it require for one ? . does the sun require an electrical sender ? And does anyone have the proper wiring diagrams?

Attached Files:

2. rfraze

rfraze

SW needs the appropriate separate sending unit to match voltage, no. of cylinders, and tach.
    Looks like the Sun box is laying on installation instructions. Is something missing?
    Usually switched power, ground, coil- for operation, and maybe power for light from dash lights.

3. Slopok

Slopok

Wouldn't they be more than 5,000 rpm tachs for automobile use and why aren't there any redline needles?

4. mike bowling

mike bowling

If you take the model # off the box, you can get info. on-line sometimes.Or look up an 800 # for SW and call tech support.I had an old Sun tach I lost the wiring diagram to( only 4 wires,2 I wasn't sure about) I went on their site, matched numbers, and got it working no problem.I was pretty sure of the way it went but didn't want to fry it being" too smart".

5. Frank the Crank

Frank the Crank
    from So Cal

These are both replacement tachometers for diesels, probably for a Peterbilt or Kenworth. I believe they have to hooked to a pulse generator.