Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tach wiring help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moparhead, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Moparhead

Moparhead

I got a good deal(free) on a used tach for the engine test stand I'm building.I can't figure out why there are so many wires.There are 6--white,red,green,black,yellow,and blue.There is a switch on the inside that is set for 8 cyls.No name on it,but a buddy thinks it is a RAC.It does say "Made in USA". Any ideas on hook-up?
    Fuzz

Attached Files:

2. Splinter

Splinter

That's a tough one. I'm thinkin' that the black is your ground, red might be switched 12V, one of them is illumination, and one of them other buggers is the coil pickoff. Past that, your guess is is good as mine. Any way to take the back off and get some pix of the innards?

Luke Johnson likes this.
  3. Sniper

Sniper

Ok. Found the booklet that came with the one I have. It's called a Hawk Command. The tach can be set up for 6 or 12 volt. Wire colors are; Red-12 volt, White-6 volt, Green-coil, Yellow-tach light, Blue-ground for light, Black-ground for unit itself. I have a scan of the diagram, but have no idea how you add it to a reply. If somebody can let me know, I'll post it as well.

4. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Do a quote and manage attachments and yoyu can get it uploaded.
    Im sure thats not the only way but it will work.
    Dave

5. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

most "universal" tachs use a common color code.. red for power, black for ground, green for coil,white for light.
    good luck
    dave :D

6. Sniper

Sniper

Can't get the pictures to up load, tried 4 times. You'll just have to take my word for it....or not. I hate computers, if we built and operated cars, like we build and operate computers, we would all be driving Yugo's!

7. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

How about emailing them to me..
    [email protected]
    Ill get em up for you.
    Dave:cool:

8. How about this one ?
    It's got a built in volt meter but I have no clue on how it would register. It's also got 8 wires,red,white,black,green then gray,light blue,yellow and brown.
    Two postion switch on the back that reads A-8 and C-6. Susposedly on a 52 chev. truck when removed. The tach it's self is a Medalion made in Ireland.

[​IMG]

9. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Hey thats cool.. Im sure the volt meter just works off the power to the tach.. Thats an interesting find. Ive seen a lot of tachs but none likt that.. Were getting email for the schematics of the other tach here and ill get em up on the thread as soon as i can..20 minutes till the nascar race.. I really hate nascar but its a shitty snowy michigan day :)
    Dave
    here they are kids...........:D :D :D

Attached Files:

10. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

is this sunday morning stup the stars?? LOL...
    my guess is the switch is for 8 or 6 cyl and the other wires (gray, blue,yellw,brn ) wires are jumpers for 4 cyl etc..some combination will nake this thing work universally... maybe some hambers can find the schematic for this thing???
    also the volt meter is kinda cool ! since it is already hooked to bat (from the red)? you get a bonus gauge...
    looks kinda 60's vintage to me..
    dave :D

11. I just never really figured out how the voltage would read, there's not a needle for it. I guess the more rpm's you turn the more voltage you have...lol

12. Sniper

Sniper

Would there be a seperate switch, that would go from tach to volts, and vise verse?

13. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Right, obviously you need a switch and then you can switch between RPM and Volts.

I'd put it on the shelf as a collectors item :)

14. Man I'm going to try and run this thing in my T, if the tach doesn't work then it'll go on the shelf..lol

p.s. unless the voltmeter works then I'll use it..lol

15. phat rat

phat rat

what's the small needle on the 12 for?

16. Moparhead

Moparhead

Thanks everybody for the help!Dave that last pic tells it all,nice and clear too.Thanks for jumpin' in and helpin' out.See ya' in Detroit.
    Fuzzy

17. That's the red line pointer which is adjustable with the knob towards the bottom. There is nothing inside like another needle or a broken off point where one could have been.