Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tach spins around and around

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captain j, Oct 11, 2015.

1. captain j

captain j

Anyone have any ideas as to why a new stewart warner wings tach spins around 360 degrees over and over?
    12 volts 31model a ford. Tach wire goes to neg side of coil. Stock 4banger engine with FS centrifugal advance electronic dizzy.
    It worked ok when I first hooked it up after second or third time driving the car it's all over the place.

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sounds like the magnet inside is sticking. Don't really have a solution, but that's what it sounds like.

Wait, it's electronic ... Not quite sure then. At least you get a bump, lol.

3. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Maybe the clock spring came unhooked. Normally the spring provides resistance. The stronger the signal, the farther it twists against the spring. Without the spring it could just spin as an electric motor until the indicator needle hit something.

This is an old Sun. Others should be similar.
    tach 003.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  4. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

Mine does the same thing. Search older threads..... You are not alone. There was talk of some kind of noise suppression wired inline may help. I just deal with it.

5. call an exorcist......solder a new stop on the spring.......

6. captain j

captain j

Finally found n fixed this issue. After sending the tach back and getting a new one it did the same thing. Now i know its not the tach. I replaced the orange braided spark plug wires with regular 8mm rubber lines and it the tach now works as normal. I guess theres little to no insulation from the braided wires?