Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taboo (I guess, I don't know)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nashvegas99, Dec 14, 2012.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

This has already been Beat to Death on here...........It boiled down to it's nobody's business....if you want to tell, it's ok.......BUT NEVER ASK SOMEONE HOW MUCH THEY PAID FOR SOMETHING.....It's like asking them when was the last time they brushed their teeth....It's RUDE

2. 5window

5window

True, but on the other hand, there are posts after posts asking how much something is WORTH. Seems like it would only be fair to say how something actually brought. Certainly if it was bought on Ebay or from an auction, the price would be general knowledge,

The OP wasn't asking for every car, just specifically the finds. I agree it would be nice to know, but it's still a private matter.

FWIW, one of the things I like about the projects in CarCraft and HotRod, even if they may be OT, is that they tell you what parts the used on the project and what they cost. Very helpful information.

3. Larry T

Larry T

I usually don't tell someone what I gave for something, unless I'm trying to sell it for less (seems to happen a lot).

As far as "What's it worth", depends on whether you're buying or selling.

4. You don't tell how much your project cost for the same reason you don't tell anyone how much your wife cost from the mail-order-wife website......:rolleyes:

5. Dragrace66

Dragrace66

In 1999 I bought a 30 model A coupe body with hood, frame and fenders for 5k german marks.
    My 29 pick up body cost me a rebuild corvette rear end I had in my garage.
    My 8BA flathead with mustang 4 speed cost me 900 euros.
    When I finished the 29 it cost me around 8k euros.

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I don't tell many people what I paid for a car or what I have in it for the simple reason that I don't feel like advertising what kinda money I have/don't have to spend on "toys". Times are tough for alot of people out there so I'd rather keep what I have coming in and going out to myself. I will say I get asked what I paid more by middle aged guys I know then by young guys...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Speaking personally, I am much more likely to divulge the price when I feel I got a deal that when I subsequently find out I paid too much. Human nature I guess.

Found my current project, a super clean and original '30 Coupe for 8k. Completely running and nothing needed to be done to it. Managed to sell fenders, engine, hood and bumpers for almost $6k with front/rear axles and steering column selling on eBay today hopefully. So am VERY happy with a total cost of 1.5k for body/frame.

On the other hand...bought the missus a Christmas present, a '59 MGA in 'seemingly' great condition for 18k, my guess after having owned it 3 months, it was worth MAYBE 15k... Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Paul

Attached Files:

8. Okay, I'll try it out and see how it feels.
    I paid 60 bucks for a pair of very good BLC 682 headlamps at Pomona last Sunday but wasn't gonna announce it. I was pretty effin excited about it though!
    I don't think I feel any better now.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

See post #9

Then post #20

Rudeness & ignorance are no replacement for manners.

Learn some, there's still time.

I'll tell who I wanna tell. Otherwise, if they're rude & ignorant enough to ask, I'll politely tell them to go fuck themselves, in a mannerly way.

10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

When you own a very unique vehicle, for American, the question after what is it? (1950 Chevy Ute) How much did it cost and how much did it cost to ship. Yes people are amazed we did buy it in Australia and we shipped it to the US. We got a great deal because nobody wanted the style when we bought it, it was $3,000.00 Ausie, which was $2,200 US at the time. And to ship it home? Chick sold her 63 T-Bird to pay for the shipping, $3,500.00. After 8 years when asked the qustion (s) we just say why do you want to know? Then most stammer, but every so often someone wants to do the same and find a vehicle from Australia and ship it home. Then we open up and tell them what we had to pay and do and what they would need to do. So yea, its personal but we understand the courisity.

11. I could never understand that one, why does everyone think they need to rape someone every time they sell a car. It should not matter how much they paid for a car if they are selling it @ a legit price.

I think that in a way of educating the masses or preaching the gospel if you prefer it should be a given that one should not be afraid of letting the fellas know what the vehicle is worth. It may even help do away with some of those what's it worth threads.

I realize that my opinion doesn't count for much but I have a pretty good idea if the value of things or do before I go looking. if something is priced well I do not really care how much someone else makes on it. I am willing to pay what something is worth regardless.

12. geoking

geoking

x2, it is just bad manners. We have a friend locally that always pushes for what did you pay?...what would you take? ..it is annoying!

13. thunderplex

thunderplex

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  14. 5window

5window

Of course, it is cultural as well. In the USA, yes. In other countries that I have been to, it is not thought of as intruding to ask what you paid, what you earn,etc. I think the HAMB standard could well be, feel free to ask, then I'll decide if i want to tell. Of course, the HAMB standard is also to be 90% negative comments, so Ii probably won't.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I was always taught never to ask a woman her age or how much a guy paid for something. :) I figure if the person wanted other people to know he would tell them and it is in bad taste to ask.

Don

16. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

In some of the other car scenes I have been in, bragging rights seem to go with showing off how much a guy paid. At a show one guy was bragging he had 3 grand in the bolts in his sbc engine, and every part came from a catalogue. It did not matter to him that it looked like everything else at the show, he spent the most. There is a local guy who spent over 250k having his 55 chev built, looks just like a buddy's 40,000 car. I prefer not to know what was spent and like it or not based on what it is.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

People that wear their $ on their sleeve are a major bore, no matter what the circumstance, or hobby, IMO. I purposely would never ask them what they paid for anything, 'cause they're dying to tell you, and you'll likely hear it anyways. :D

18. This thread has been hashed and rehashed,,,it's timely death is past due!:rolleyes: HRP

19. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon