Register now to get rid of these ads!

T56 6-speed transmission??? Anyone running one??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Evilfordcoupe™, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Are any of you running one in a hotrod??

Do you swear by it???

Any funky electrics on them???

Any info would be appreciated.

-Jason

2. tooslow54

tooslow54

I just put one in a 54 Chevy. No funky electronics, BUT I have the aftermarket version. From what I understand there are several different ones. These trannies are used in late model Camaros, Corvettes, Cobras, Aston Martins, etc. With that list I am confident in my choice. Unfortunately, I'm still getting the wiring and fuel system together, so I can't give first hand experience...yet.

Oh yeah, one potential drawback: these things are BIG. You can go to Tremec's website and get dimensions. I had to raise my trans tunnel almost an inch for my application.

3. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

4. tjm73

tjm73

Some Camaro, Firebird and Corvette T-56's have an electronic skip shift feature that forces you to shift from 1st to 4th (skipping 2nd & 3rd) unless you are ringing it out. You can buy a little plug in thing that eliminates it.

5. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

yep and they're cheap too.

http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=897

that was GM's way of meeting MPG requirements.

6. rikaguilera

rikaguilera

We just installed one in the 50' Ford race car that we are building. We are using a Richmond though, not the T56. Pretty much the same externally, as far as mounts and size. I would not think that you would need much (if anything) in the way of electronics for a hot rod install though. They have a "skip shift" electronic set up that can be done away with, and that is pretty much it. The range of gears that you will have will really make it worth it. Good luck.

7. I have several friends with them installed behind LT1's. They are sturdy enough to handle 450+ hp and haul a 4000lb b-body in bone stock form. The cheapest donors seem to be pontiac trans ams. Lots of aftermarket clutch pack etc for them. The benefit of the 6th gear is most guys will run 4:11 or 4:56 and still cruise down the highway at 85 without ringing the balls outa the small block. They do have a 1st to 4th electronic switch in some/most models that lock out the 1st to 2nd shift when you are deep into the throttle. However several mfr's make a defeat switch or bypass for it.

You might look in on a z28 forum or www.impalassforum.com (the impala site is down for a few days)

s.

8. octane

octane
    from Virginia

As mentioned, there are different versions in different cars. The Ford version has a different sized input shaft than the GM version, etc. - so be aware of those subtle differences when you're looking for a donor so you don't end up with the wrong unit.

9. bob-n

bob-n

I've got one (stock) in my 04 GTO. Was putting big power through it (turbocharged LS1) and it's still good... 35K miles. There's been a few forsale on www.ls1gto.com and www.ls1tech.com. The double OD is nice, cruise along 70mph at 1800 rpm with 3.46 gears. $18 buys the skip shift eliminator from www.ls1speed.com but you may not need that if you're not running the donor car electronics??

10. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Thank you all!!!

I think this is what I want to run, and especially like the 0.62 6th gear.

-Jason

11. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Jason, Check out Standard transmission & gear @ standardtransmission.com.
    I've never delt w/ them but they are in Ft.Worth & last I saw, they had some pretty good deals/ prices on the internet.

12. tjm73

tjm73

Be careful when choosing one from a donar car. Some have different O/D ratios. Some Camaro's have like .50 6th gears, while the Mustang Cobra is like .62 6th. Not a big difference but a difference just the same.

13. JAB

JAB

not to steal the thread but i was thinking about using one of these in a future project myself, anybody know of a dependable source for adapters for this to a more traditional motor such as an olds rocket. thanks in advance.

14. Retrorod

Retrorod

JAB you can bolt these things on to anything with a Chevy bolt pattern, I'm sure that Pat at Wilcap has something that will work on the Olds.

15. What year modlel are the best doner cars?

16. I am using a T56 out of a 98 Trans Am in my 33 coupe. It is mated to a early sbc with an adapter from McLeod. I am also using the stock t/o brng with a line adapter from them as well.

http://www.mcleodind.com/

17. Late 90's

The trans am I looked at last was '97, they are pricey around here for just the trans. A whole donor car isn't much more than just the trans.

s.

18. tooslow54

tooslow54

Call McLeod in CA. They make all kinds of different bellhousings. NOT cheap, but not cheap parts either:D

I used their modular bellhousing & clutch set-up. Very easy to install.

Also, as someone else mentioned, there are different O/D ratios for different versions. Go to the Tremec site listed above and you should be able to print out the page that has them all listed with each (1-6) gear ratios. You can take that page with you when searching the boneyard and compare it to the #s on the tag.

19. Evilfordcoupe™

Evilfordcoupe™

Excellent!!!

This will be going in my '33 as well, but behind a Hemi.

Thank you.

Jason

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had thought about running one of these behind my Hemi also. May still. What type of pricing are we talking if yanked right from the car (west coast prices)? Will they gererally need a rebuild because of what they came out of or are they pretty much good to go with an inspection? If I could get one for reasonable and find someone to clean it up locally, I may go this route also...

How about shifter options? Do they suck? Any short shifters for these? Are the mounting patterns pretty much the same as the Super T-10?

Want to hear more! This is a serious considerations for me also.

21. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jason,
    What Hemi are you running? Curious about the trans adapter...

22. tooslow54

tooslow54

Shifter options galore! I have the McLeod shifter in mine. They pretty much came up with a slick design using bellevue (sp?) washers instead of bushings. really trick shit. There are plenty more out there. One potential "problem" you may face is that these trans's were built for late model (aerodynamic) applications and most of them have the shifter installed either on the last (tailshaft) spot, or possibly even further back on a remote deal (you would have to see it). This really isn't a major problem as I had mine moved forward to the middle spot (about $100) by Anaheim Gear so that it would clear the bench seat.

Pics should show where the shifter would have been, and where it ended up.

Attached Files:

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EXCELLENT! That was my next question!! Is this a kit you can buy or is this something that would need to be handled during a rebuild or something? Tell us more! Also, with that is there a "quick shift/short throw" kit available even after moving it? Dumb when it comes to these.

This is a dangerous thread! I'm getting all kinds of new ideas! As long as Pat at Wilcap makes an adapter, I just might try to steal a Firebird or Camaro out of the parking lot at work and hook myself up! ;) :D

24. tooslow54

tooslow54

The shifter is a simple bolt in design with a "socket" receiver. No need for kits or anything like that. Mine came with the stock Tremec shifter, simply unbolted the 4 bolts, pulled it out and bolted in the new shifter. The only hassles were moving the shifter location and the trans cross member. For moving it I simply paid a shop that specializes in it since I really didn't want to take mine completely apart and as far as the cross member went, I bought a tranny K member from RBs for a TH350, cut the center out, moved the center back about 4-5 inches and welded it back up.

25. tooslow54

tooslow54

In case anyone wanted to see the modified K member

Attached Files:

26. I've wanted one for years but with an almost $3,000 price tag, fuck it. I'll go with a T5.

27. arkracing

arkracing

so the million dollar question???

what are we talking for price out of a junk??? general experiences?

The Richmond 6speeds are about 3K new so I would imagine the Tremecs are close to that new

28. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Ahhhahaaaaa......Be careful.A T-56 makes ALOT of SMOKE:D in my brothers 58 Chevy wagon:eek: .

Attached Files:

• 65ty.JPG
      65ty.JPG
      File size:
      59.2 KB
      Views:
  29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

I run a T56 in my 1994 Impala SS behind an LT1. The T56 version with the 0.5 overdrive in 6th has a higher torque capacity rating and can be found in '94 - '97 Camaros and Firebirds. The T56 used behind the LS1 starting in 1998 uses a different bellhousing and input shaft which is not directly compatible with an LT1.

It is an awesome transmission. I run 4.10 gears in the rear end and can launch the car hard while still cruising at about 2200 rpm at 75 mph.

Mike

30. tooslow54

tooslow54

Cost will vary. My local junkyard (Ecology) sells all manual transmissions at a set price. So a T5 and a T56 are the same price as a 4 speed:eek:

Shop around, you'll find something.