Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 trans,torque tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blindowl, May 27, 2014.

1. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Hi guys , I'm thinking of running a chevy T5 in my 32 roadster . I need some help/ measurements. So here's what I want to do ... I want to run a stock 32 radiator , 35 flathead v8 , chevy T5 trans atached to the stock torque tube rear end.
    Here's my question , will the engine be pushed to far forward or will it hit the fire wall with this type of setup ? I will be running the T5 torque tube adapter. Thanks

2. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

It's a stock frame and K member

3. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Or should just run a rebuilt 39 box with 46-48 gears

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can't help with the 32 issue mine runs a 39 box but I put a T-5 in my 34 PU. The engine did not move so no issues there. I did have to modify the 34 X frame and make a new rear trans mount. The rear had already been changed to an 8". If you want the banjo rear, I'd just get one from a 40's PU and just run it as an open rear end like an 8". A lot less work with the same results. Leave the engine in place and just move the trans mount. You will need to also modify the rear radius rods. Lots of ways to do this. Just look up ways for running later rears in the Deuce frame. Not too hard. they have been doing this for 60 years now.

5. Uptown83

Uptown83

I am going to be doing something similar. If you search on the hamb for this you will find some info. There is a guy that makes an adapter to go on the back of a t5. But you need to make sure you get the right t5. Also you will to shorten the torque tube.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

I would think you would have to shorten the torque tube. If so it is not that hard to do.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

You're going to be challenged to do this. The K-member will require surgery as the T5, even the 4x4 version you'll need to adapt to the torque tube, is longer than the old 3-spd. Search here - lots of info - check the link in my signature line for more.

8. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

Thanks for all the info. I think I'm just going to run a 39 box and save the problems.

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went thru the hoops and changed our 32 32W to an S10 5 speed ,yup as normal required some considerable mods. When done my lovely wife ( who is the traditional police) said I don't know why you did that as it doesn't go any faster. Which is quite correct as with 750x16 rears and a 3.54 diff ratio with the old 3 speed it was still very spirited with a staunch 276 flathead, didn't see 100 mph but got to close at an acceptable rate before the change. Anyway food for thought.