Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 tranny behing flathead...anyone running this combo

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ACinSD, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ACinSD

ACinSD

Is anyone running a T5 trans behind a flathead? I'm thinking of running this combo since T5's are relatively inexpensive, plentiful, and would allow you to run down the freeway at decent speeds. Offy make a bellhousing adaptor for this specific setup, which is pretty cool IMO.

So, who's running this combo and what's your feedback?

2. clifforddean

clifforddean

I don't know what vehicle your doing but I did the swap in my shoebox. It was probably best thing I did for driveability. I used the offenhauser adapter plate and bought a throw out bearing from clutchdumpindan from here on the hamb. Do some research there plenty of info out there.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check the link in my signature line. Do a search. Been covered extensively and the consensus is that it's the best mod anyone ever does and it transforms the flathead.

4. ACinSD

ACinSD

Ok thanks, i will take a look. I appreciate it.

5. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

I put a Mustang T5 behind the 60hp in my '52 MGTD with 3.9 gears in the rear end. Tach doesn't work but the little 60hp isn't screaming. Speedo doesn't work either but I can keep up. Life is good. Marvin, ct

6. Also check Cornhuskers and Dwighr Bond for adapters.As flat ernie said he has tons of tech and info.

7. bag

bag

We are running one in our 49 f1. The combo with a flathead is great.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have kits to adapt the 85/92 and the 93 up S10 T5 trans to the back of the flathead. Gary at Cornhusker

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

http://cornhuskerrodandcustom.net/Pages/Parts.aspx

Malcolm

10. RUSTY2

RUSTY2
    from Canada

Got this setup behind my 36, great setup only I find first and second are too close. A buddy has it in his 35 but used a t5 tail shaft on to a t10 so the shifter is closer to the middle

11. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

12. hardysmodela

hardysmodela
    from colorado

I have a t5 in my coupe with a 8ba works great .Cornhuskers is the place great kit and Gary is a nice guy.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I ran a nasty Merc Flatty with a T5 and banjo rear in my T Bucket. Came outta the hole like a rocket and got 30 mpg+ on a regular basis. Do it!

14. toucan

toucan
    from sc

love t-5s , how do you put one behind a y-block!

Stllrng. likes this.
  15. Flatty Merc

Flatty Merc
    from Pa.

Howdy, I'm new to this sight and it looks like a good one ! I'm finally starting on my '41 Ford p/u project thats getting a '50 Merc flatty, Mustang T5 to a ranger 8.8 with 3.73 posi (hope it can spin both tires), I hear there's an adapter plate available with the Mustang bolt patern that will bolt to my bell , sounds like the simple way to do it and I like simple, any imfo on this app is greatly appreciated, thanks, fm

16. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an 8BA T5 combo using a Cornhusker kit in my '36 and love it, the three to five speed swap made it a new car. Using a S-10 tail housing positions the shifter back about 6" from stock (and if using a Mustang tail housing at least 6" further back), so depending on what seat and shifter you use be aware.
    Regarding shifters, I took the stock S-10 shifter, cut it off at the first bend and then drilled a pilot hole into the cut end. Then cut off a stock shifter, turned the end to match the pilot hole, and welded the two together. I wanted the "stock" look and I think it works.
    If you go with Cornhusker, while I like the kit overall, do pay attention to the warning to check pressure plate to adapter clearance since the adapter does not clear all. Buying a pressure plate from Cornhusker along with the kit I figured it would be good to go. WRONG!! One teardown and a trip to the milling machine fixed it, but it would have been alot easier if I'd checked it out before the first install. The final pic tells the story.

Attached Files:

17. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

I am nearing completion of my flathead rebuild and T5 swap. I am getting really excited to drive it, but everybody I have talked to said it is the best modification you can do to the flattie.

I have a bunch more pictures on my build thread, but here is an idea of what mine looks like. It has an offy adapter on stock bellhousing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ryan

18. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

It makes a sweet combo. Cornhusker helped me out for my 51 Ford.

19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Just gathering ideas before I start my '32 5W build. I have the '39 box with Zephyr gears which I think is really cool (took awhile to gather it by the way!). But I keep hearing about this swap. I don't really want to change the frame. I'm OK with changing to an open drive. So would frame modification have to be done to my original frame?

20. papasmurf240

papasmurf240

The only frame modifications I had to make was to notch the tranny crossmember to fit the T5. It wasn't much work at all, and well worth the efforts.

21. Does someone have a photo of a 1934 ford with this combo in it , I was wondering how far back the shifter ends up? Do you have to cut the floor for the shiter ?

22. diiulio

diiulio

What is the consensus for the best T5? Taking a WC camaro/mustang and putting a S10 tailhousing on?

Or just running an S10 T5 with mechanical speedo?

What is the preferred gearing for a T5 behind a flatty?

I currently have a 93 S10 which has the 4:1 1st gear, electronic speedo, and the ford bolt pattern. Even though it is a WC I am thinking of looking for an older S10 T5 so I don't have to deal with the Ford pattern, electronic speedo and bad 1st gear.

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It depends. ;)

This is by far the easiest.

It depends, but most prefer higher gearing (lower numerically - ie 3.76 vs 4.11), particularly with a stock rear. If you're changing the rear end ratio, you can do what you like with a bit of math...

You have found the messiest possible T5 to adapt - if you can find an older one, you'll be better off, IMO.

24. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agree with Flat Ernie's answers.

For what it is worth I'm running an older non-WC S-10 (4.03 first, .86 fifth, mechanical speedo) through a 3.00 posi and 235/75X15 tires, powered by a 284 cid blown 8BA. Am I on the ragged edge regarding too much engine? Yes. But with a little care the transmission is working fine, I'm not a drag racer and just want something that pushes you back when the loud petal is punched. When installing the transmission I figured for sure I would want to swap the 3.00 gears for something in the 3.3 to 3.5 range, especially with the tall tires, but after driving the three-oh is fine. First gear is good, although I would not want it any lower (higher numerically), and fifth is suprisingly useable - I use it quite a bit here on our mountain roads.

Unless you are really going wild a non-WC T5 should be OK behind any flathead.

25. cmursick

cmursick
    from washington

ok so i just got my flat head rebuilt and i am going to get the t5 transmission but not sure what year t5 i need out of the s-10 any info would be great

26. farmerbob-1

farmerbob-1

I have a NWC S-10 behind my 8ba flatty in a 32 5window. I used a Cornhusker adapter and it works great. I did find that first gear is too low so much so that I had camero v8 gears installed in the tranny. I now have a 2.95 first gear and a 0.62 overdrive. With a 3.88 rear gear and 28 inch tall rear tires in overdrive I'm turning 2000 rpm at 65 mph.Perfect! I hope this helps.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The mechanical speedometer drive went electric in about 1989. The parts are not directly interchangeable, but adaptations have been done. From 1982-1985, there was mostly a lower geared T5 (4.03-0.89:1), for the smaller-engined S10's. Those ratios are likely too low, unless you have a really tall rear ratio. After 1985, a taller gearset was common (3.76-0.72), but the low set was still out there. Shoot for 1986-1988. The metal tag, and the sticker, if it is still there, will reveal a code, which indicates what is inside, for gears.

In 1993, 'ish, GM actually switched to the FORD bell housing pattern, for the remainder of production with the T5.

Here is by far, the most comprehensive information I have been able to find, anywhere:

http://www.flatheadv8.org/ernie/ernie-t5.htm

Sharp eyed observers will note the link. He's our people.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  28. tjm73

tjm73

Do you know what ratios your box had? Also what axle ratio did you have? Oh and what size tire did you run?

Thanks. :cool:

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Inquiring minds want to know!

30. tjm73

tjm73

If I may ask, what was the build up of the engine too?