Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 to flattie hangs way down there!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RuFFDaWG, Aug 31, 2008.

1. The T5 is a great tranny especially for the flathead drivers among us. I'm doing the same thing now in our fenderless highboy. Not on the road yet but there may be a problem here? As ya know, the T5 has that "fin" or "tab cast into the outside of the case along the bottom side. In stock configuration the two support rods bolt to it and run over to the frame. With the flatty engine and T5 iin the frame I see that the tab hangs WAY DOWN there. In fact its the lowest point on the car - about 3" or so above the pavement!! Wondering here what others have done? Some people just shave these off I know. Does anyone rig up some sort of support rods to the frame like it had in the original vehicle? Do ya need this extra support on the tranny? What have you guys and gals done?

2. Snarl

Snarl

I have never seen anyone for any reason spend their time trying to install those strut rods. If the tab is a problem, then cut it off.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

My T roadster has a T-5. It's 3 1/2 from the tab to the ground. It's about 1/2 inch lower than the bottom of the trans crossmember.

The only time it ever hit the ground was on a gravel road with real bad wheel ruts. The tab is definitly not a problem.

I did not use the strut rods either. I think the factory rods went to the bellhousing.

Frank

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have sold the kit to install the S-10 T-5 for many years and have always recommended the removal of the tab. In other words WACK IT OFF!

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I whacked mine off.:rolleyes::D

6. BurtDiesel

BurtDiesel
    from CT

Ditto on the cutting off...see ya