Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 to Flathead yet again, this time using a matched clutch kit.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I know this has been done to death, but heres how I did it.

The trans is out of an 85 Camaro and for this particular application the shifter is in a real good position so I didnt have to change the tailhousing.

The goal was to be able to use all the stock mullet-mobile clutch stuff simplifying replacement by the use of a matched clutch set. #PK0056 from Autozone.

We will start with the flywheel.
    [​IMG]

If you look at the pilot bushing, theres 2 of them. We had the outer one machined to fit the flywheel on the outside, and drilled to fit the camaro pilot bushing.

Then the flywheel was redrilled to the gm clutch bolt pattern.

The Camaro clutch plate has a flat front, but the springs and such are still pretty close to the leading edge. The blue circle shows where .090 has to be removed to eliminate any interference problems that may occur when the disk wears.

[​IMG]

In order to use the GM throwout bearing I was going to use the flatty fork with a gm bearing end welded on, but I figured out an easier way, just use the GM arm.

To do this just drill out the rivets holding the stock pivot out, and get the universal pivot ball. The pivot comes with a threaded insert, pivot ball and jam nut.

[​IMG]

The theaded insert needs a little grinding to clear the clip that holds the arm on, so grind 1/4" off, basically just above the outer threads.

[​IMG]

Now measure the difference between the pivots on the stock Ford arm and the Chubby arm. It should be around 1 1/4".

[​IMG]

Be sure to keep the pivot centered so that the fork will line up with the exit and the bearing sleeve. Weld the threaded insert in place flange side down on the mark.

(EDIT!) rahter than welding it straight to the bell, add a 1/4 -3/8" spacer under it. Without the spacer the adjustment is real close to used up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it, done even. works slick, has plenty of adjustment too.

[​IMG]

The only other area of concern is the change of ratio from the pivot out to the pedal lnkage, but I wont know if its a problem till the whole thing is assembled and in the truck.

If the pedal is a bit stiff I will add a bit to the end of the arm and that should cure it. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Retrorod

Retrorod

I assume that clutch is a diaphram type?? If it is, it won't be real stiff....should be nice & smooth. We used a Ford three-finger Borg & Beck on our conversion and ended up with major pedal pressure. A little linkage change cured it, but I wish we would've used the diaphram pressure plate in the first place.

Nice job!!

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

yeah its a diaphram style, shouldnt be a problem, but then again its always better to have a backup plan if it is.

Thanks!

4. Great info - thanks

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Gerg

Gerg

kickass work like always keep it up!

6. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Cool Jay, Who did you get to weld it for you? :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. Southfork

Southfork

Thanks, Da Tinman. This kind of hands-on tech is always appreciated.

8. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

agreed,,,you the man ,,sicko

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Good stuff here!

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Thanks Guys, I put a lot of thought into how to pull this off and so to get compliments really makes it all worthwhile.

And if this will help some of the others out,, thats even better!

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Good tech,
    how did you center the pressureplate/flywheel when redrilling?
    TP

12. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I cheated, we had the machine shop do it!

13. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Great tech. This is the route I was wanting to go and was not sure how to do it...thank!

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I added this to the Tech. I thought I had already, but couldn't find it - good way to solve this problem!

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman