Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 tailshaft swap for dummies, with pictures.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zor, Jul 20, 2008.

1. natsrats

natsrats
    from missouri

sorry I meant electric to mechanical converter.

2. McFly

McFly

I need some help with this guys. Ernie? Snarl? [​IMG]
    My NWC S10 mechanical tailhousing small parts. The white plastic piece is the S10 flinger. ^^^^^
    [​IMG]
    I have a 1352-176 WC trans with the plastic tube cut on a diagonal as pictured above. Now, I have read all the T5 threads on here and I know I must use the flinger that came with the S10 tailhousing. My question is: do I remove the diagonally cut flinger in the WC trans and slide in the S10 flinger? If I pull the diagonal flinger out and put in the S10 flinger it's very loose and sloppy feeling. I can also slide the S10 flinger into the diagonal plastic tube and it's a nice fit, but then my housing will not sit right. What order should I be putting these pieces in? Also, does the S10 flinger sit in the S10 tail housing first and then the race sits on top of the flinger? It seems that it fits well that way. I want to make sure I put this thing together right. Race pictured below.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  3. McFly

McFly

1. You need a funnel...I've just sort of relaxed my view on which one - I no longer thinks it matters.

So, I can use the funnel that is already sitting in my WC unit? I can ditch the S10 funnel? If yes, than that WC funnel fits way nicer.

2. You need the race if it fits in your tailhousing. This is another area where differences in machining between various tailhousings matters. You'll have to test fit and see.

Does the race face down in the tailhousing with the smooth side up and the oil funnel mating to the smooth side of the race? Sorry for the elementary questions, but I did not take the S10 trans apart.:eek:

4. McFly

McFly

It seems that I have answered my own question by researching more elusive T5 threads.

I believe I can use my WC oiling funnel in my NWC S10 tailhousing and be ok.

I will attempt to use the S10 race bearing and see if that combo seats well with the housing and WC Camaro tranny.

Any thoughts hybrid tranny gurus?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. One question... somewhere I read that the wc s10 tail housing will not work on a NWC tranny? could someone who knows for sure explain what don't work?...

6. 70f100sb

70f100sb
    from tacoma Wa

I am having this same issue from what I have found is that two different 5th gear synchros were used and you need the newer style S10 tail shaft for that set up

7. on another note that tab looks like it is about to fail ^^^^^

8. I have the same set up in mine with a electric speedo. I'm using the funnel from the WC trans and I'm not sure on the race/bearing. The Mustang wc trans didn't have the race/bearing but the S10 did, so what ever fits. I have called a trans place for other questions also (Anaheim Gear).

9. I have a 1989 SVO Mustang WC T-5 and would like to know if the procedure for swapping a S-10 tail shaft with mechanical speedo addressed in this thread would be the same on my ford trans? I looked through the thread and there was a post stating the S-10 tail shaft could be put on a ford T-5, but did not go into depth about it.
    Thanks in advance.

52plybizcoupe likes this.
  10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yep...it works. Watch the countershaft bearing and oiling funnel...it's sometimes tricky to get the tailshaft to sit just right.

11. Thanks Ernie

12. Andy

Andy

Is it easy to buy the mech speedo gear and keeper? I have a 89 WC from a Camero with a electric speedo and I want to try the post 14 conversion with a S-10 tail. Can I get the parts from GM or a vendor?

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

My '96 camaro tail housing did not have the provision for the thrust bearing and washer, on the counter shaft. Its compaired to an '89 s-10 tail housing. Can I run the '89 s-10 tail housing on the '96 camaro gear box? The funnels were both the same, so that's not the issue. Reluctors may have to be switched around too. 2015-01-03 18.54.14.jpg 2015-01-03 18.54.27.jpg 2015-01-03 18.54.39.jpg

14. 32owner

32owner

cant seem to find an answer to this question, i am putting an s10 tail housing on my 93 ford t5. can i just cut the tail slider shaft and drill an use the ford shifter ball pocket assembly and re drill the cover plate. i know the two rear holes almost line up they will need elongated slightly and will have to re-drill the front two and trim the cover is this correct. is there any pictures of this being done on here. thanks

15. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do. The short answer is yes you can put the s10 tail housing on the 93 ford t5.
    You are going to need an s10 shift rail if that is what you mean by tail slider shaft.

16. earlymopar

earlymopar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It appears that the white plastic "flinger" is held in by the snap ring. Is this correct? Also, I do not see the "funnel" being referred to in the previous posts. If anyone has any pictures to clarify, I would appreciate it.

- EM

17. 32owner

32owner

my question was can i use the ford t5 shifter and plate on the s10 housing with modification

18. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

I think you can if you modify the mounting holes. I have used the after market mustang short throw shifters with some modifications.

19. 32owner

32owner

that is what was on the ford t5 and i thought i had seen pics on here of how someone made the back holes larger and redrilled the front then cut cover to match the s10 box. but i cant find them now. my two rear holes almost match . i am going to do some measuring today i will take pics incase it works out lol

20. Go on e-bay and get a Mustang short throw shifter for about $40.00. You will have to shorten the mounting plate and drill two new holes.

21. 32owner

32owner

that is what i have but the pocket block out of the ford t5 is to big for s10 box so i guess i have to cut shaft which i knew then find an s10 slider

22. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Is this the part you are calling a pocket block? If yes, then yes you need one from an s10 to do the tail housing conversion.
    shifter block sprint and ball.jpg.jpeg

23. Dan60231

Dan60231

I have a question about WC and NWC tail housings.

I've done a few Camaro V8 trans with an S10 tail on them and you have to have a WC trans and WC tail, or NWC and NWC tail.

Does this apply to the Ford T5 trans? Can I put a NWC S10 tail on a WC ford?

24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The tail doesn't know WC from NonWC case, but going from Ford(mustang) to GM s10 the speedo gear will be in different locations.

25. Dan60231

Dan60231

I realize the gear is in a different location. That's very easy to take care of. There is a guy on Ebay that sells a kit for this. I've used them a couple of times and they work great.

In a NWC case there is for lack of a better term there is a pocket for the counter shaft thrust bearing. A WC tail is flat in that area and is deeper into the case. If you try to put NWC tail on a S10 WC trans the tail will not go up flush against the trans because of the difference in the thrust surface depth.

I haven't bought a ford T5 yet and I'm trying to plan this swap. I realize the trans doesn't care which housing it has, but does the difference in the depth of the thrust surface prevent the NWC tail from fitting flush against the trans?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have WC from a 93 camaro v6, (which is a ford style case) and used a s10 nwc tail, and it bolted up fine. I believe way back that was alot of concern about the oiling funnel at the end of 5th gear.

27. beater32

beater32

What's in the kit ??

28. Dan60231

Dan60231

Can I post an ebay link for the kit here without stepping on toes?

29. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

30. Dan60231

Dan60231

That's the one. Being new I didn't want to get kicked off for posting a link.

He has some other stuff on there he does also.