Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 shifter position forward

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pooch2, Mar 15, 2018.

1. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Working on a T5 behind a flathead in a Model A.

Does anyone make a kit that extends the gearshift further forward to where it should be in an A?

This is in OZ and is an early commodore T5.

Or if anyone has made their own shifter extension , pics would be great .

2. Are you using a s10 or a camaro style? I'v always heard the short S10 syle t5 work pretty good. Thats what I'm in the middle of putting in my 47 fleetline and it landed nicely.

3. This isn't my creation but I've thought about maybe recreating at some point. This was built by a retired mechanical engineer for his 52 Ford truck. He built it so the gearshift would be in the stock location. Looking at it I think the main thing is making your pivot points all on the same plane so the linkage doesn't fight itself. This is very smooth and you'd never know what was going on if you didn't see it. This is a Mustang T5 WC from a 1990 5.0L. I don't think I have any other pictures of it. 20160317_170003.jpg

4. Tim O'Kelley

Tim O'Kelley
    from texas

you can swap for an s10 tie housing that moves the shifter forward about 6-7 inches-much better.

5. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Corsa, that looks like my box, thanks for pics.

The dip down of the shaft may save me from a bigger floor hump .

6. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Modern Driveline makes a kit to relocate the shifter. Contact is [email protected] or 208 453 9800

7. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes that is what I used on my A & 32 .

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The linkage can be bent into any shape you need. It is just an "imaginary straight line between 2 pivot points.
    In the above example the front pivot is very clever how it is moved up the shift lever [under the boot]

Attached is how the shifter was done by Ford in my factory built FR500C Race Car when they used a T56R transmission [the bottom of the lever is a spherical bearing]

1 m5lp_0604_fr500c_20_z.jpg

Bigcheese327, Hnstray and saltflats like this.
  9. evintho

evintho

Top pic is standard T5.
    Second pic is a T5 with an S10 tailshaft housing. Note the difference in shifter placement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Corsa likes this.
  11. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

In the above example the front pivot is very clever how it is moved up the shift lever [under the boot]

Yes, I thought so too, not only does it lower the shift rod, if the stick base hole was slotted , it could be easily adjustable for gearstick throw fore and aft.

12. That's a good thread on this subject Mr48chev. I missed that one.
    I like the the idea of a kit that relocates the shifter for the obvious reasons.

You can have the stronger WC transmission or even a Z. What that's worth is up to the individual's needs.

The shifter will be in the same location as the stock transmission. Clearance for the linkage may be an issue or not. I think in most cases this could also be addressed and hidden during a build if required.

I think the Mustang T5 has a cable speedometer if I remember correctly. One less headache if you want vintage gauges and don't want a GPS speedometer.

In my area the Mustang T5 is also more common than the s10 T5.

13. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Here in Oz, with our commodore T5, which is an electronic speedo, we can buy a pass thru cable adapter , that also sends the correct signals to the computer if you are running the same engine.

The great thing I found was the commodore adapter allowed a stock Model A cable to screw on and the Oval Model A speedo read correctly.

14. Not wanting to side track this but you could go the electronic route or there's a member on the HAMB with the username Kato Kings who also converts S10 tail housings to take a mechanical speedo.

15. What's involved in changing out the tail shafts? HRP

16. evintho

evintho

Not a whole lot. Just make sure you get the shifter plate and shifter with the S10 tailshaft housing. Remove and replace. IIRC you have to jiggle some things to get it all lined up correctly but thats basically it! Just stuck the tranny nose first into my garbage can and went to work!

[​IMG]

Vic Walter likes this.
  17. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That pivot ball would be easy to pull off with a modern car rack and pinion inner tie rod.

Hnstray and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Pillow blocks, spherical rod ends, etc. are all available, and generally used for that reason...
    But a rack & pinion inner tie rod? Now, THAT's thinking outside the box!
    Great idea, shift rod is already attached...Ball end is 'friendly' for plate mounting... good hard stuff, too.

Hnstray and saltflats like this.
  20. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

All great ideas so far.

I blew up the pic in post3 and I think maybe this guy has a tie rod jambed under the plate for a ball joint.

That gave me the idea to maybe use a tie rod end, but vertically, so the shifter rod can screw on, and by adjusting it up or down, the throw fore and aft will be easily adjustable.

A rough sketch....

Attached Files:

21. I just fought my way through the snow to my parts tent to take some other pictures. This is actually super simple. Very crudely finished probably because the builder wasn't expecting to see it again. This could easily be made much nicer looking. It's about as low profile as I think it could be. I've seen the pivot before but I can't place where. I know one of you will remember. I thought this might be info others might find helpful even if it only gets their own minds thinking of a better way.
    DSCF0418.JPG DSCF0419.JPG DSCF0420.JPG DSCF0421.JPG DSCF0423.JPG DSCF0424.JPG DSCF0425.JPG DSCF0426.JPG DSCF0428.JPG DSCF0429.JPG DSCF0430.JPG DSCF0418.JPG DSCF0419.JPG DSCF0420.JPG DSCF0421.JPG DSCF0423.JPG
    Here's a quick a dirty video I just took too. It's kind of hard to shift it while holding and looking through the camera.

sproadster30 likes this.
  22. DSCF2461.JPG Been there with the rack inner control arm,shifts beautifully ,just need to get it down a bit more.Machined up an 8mm disc,cut out the centre and welded to the shaft then fit fibre washers in between.Went the disc way so I could use a swan neck shaped shifter and that took care of any twist while shifting 2nd-3rd,and pulling reverse.I used the lower hole in the original shifter arm and cut the top off.I had the ali arms lying around and they worked out prefect. Just my take on it a couple of years ago,I like the other ideas about also.
    DSCF2462.JPG

23. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Tomorrow, I start building the shifter.

Fore and aft movement is easy to make adjustable.

But sideways gate movement is another thing.

I guess a shifter for my bench seat A pickup will be over 2 times the height of the piddly T5 shifter, so this means a huge sideways gate at the gear knob to go across gears.

A mate just fitted a T5 to a 41 truck and he almost needs a longer arm to reach from first to fifth.

Does the brains trust here have any ideas how to make this large movement at the top into a smaller movement?

24. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Yes! you need to move the shifter ball up on the gearbox so it need less degrees of lateral movement to move the same distance. [shifter throw modification]
    This is done by re-drilling the pin further up, and adding an equivalent spacer block under the shifter

For and Aft movement can easily be adjusted by altering the pivot height on the lever

pooch2 likes this.
  25. Some good ideas

26. perry parsons

perry parsons

Hello, I have been viewing you post on this shifter relocation idea, I was wondering after several years what your thoughts were on this today. thanks

27. Reidy

Reidy

There is a bloke called Mal Wood in Warwick Qld. Google his business. He is a T5 guru and sells stuff all around Australia and overseas.

Steve

perry parsons likes this.
  28. Unfortunately, according to his profile, the OP has not been back here since March 2018.

29. To be perfectly honest, it didn’t get of the ground, I couldn’t handle the g/box tunnel needing to be so high to clear it and bit the bullet and went for an S10 rear housing.

30. perry parsons

perry parsons

thanks for reply, stay safe.