Register now to get rid of these ads!

t5 & sbc in Model A- mech or hydraulic clutch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLACKPRIMERFAN, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Im looking at putting a T5 behind a SBC in a Model A chassis, and my experience with manual transmissions is limited to driving them. Am I going to have enough room for pedals & linkage or should I go with a hydraulic set-up? I understand hydralulic will be easier to setup, but I've read where people have complained of leaks & seals tearing. ( I planned on using a So Cal tube style K member and pedals, but Im open to suggestions.

Thanks, (pics would be great too!)

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

There is enough room for mechanical linkage however it will limit the amount of space you will have to run your exhaust. This was not a factor for me as I am running lakes headers. I did have a hydraulic TO bearing for a bit but it developed a leak and was a PITA to service. An external slave cylinder is easy to fix or replace.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. classic gary

classic gary

my '28 A w/sbc/muncie/hanging pedals is getting the whole hydraulic brake/clutch system, from a 60's GMC pickup. gonna try to use all OEM parts. master/slave (push), if it was good enough for GM........

4. In my model A, I used a pedal assy from a 49-52 Ford truck. I modified the clutch pedal to convert it to pull a cable. (I don't care for the feel of a hydraulic setup). It was a tight fit with the exhaust etc. all there, but fit alright. After finishing the installation, I discovered in my parts stash, a factory gm bellhousing that has the throwout fork hole and ball stud pad stamped (just needed to be finished) into the passenger side of the bellhousing. Had I found this to begin with, it would have freed up a lot of space on the drivers side.

5. There is also a third route to take,,you can use a cable operated clutch but you have to plan ahead to do this.

Summit carries the cables. HRP

6. BLACKPRIMERFAN

BLACKPRIMERFAN
    from OH/MI LINE

Thanks to all that replied. Im not sure which direction Im going to go, but it sounds like I have options.