Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Levis Classic, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Looking at mounting a T5 4 speed to a 1963 Olds Aluminum 215 V8. Thinking of the S10 variety so I can have the shifter closer to the front. I also don't want to run an electric speedo.

Any thoughts on the T5 behind the 215?

Also any year S10 have the mechanical speedo?

2. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

if im not mistaken, mechanical speedo would be the non world class variety of t5. you want 1982-1986 s10 t5 with tag 13-52-XXX. the XXX number will tell you ratios and year and vehicle it came from. and i think all s10 t5's are 5 speed. not 4 speed. as far as behind your olds i have no clue...

3. Kinky6

Kinky6

Early on, there was a S-10 4 speed, looks just like a T5, except it doesn't have the bulge on the lower side of the tailhousing for the 5th gear, right behind the main gear housing. Internal shift rail, slightly domed top cover, the whole bit. T4, maybe? Anyhow, look at the early mech speedo ones carefully. Fooled me; I've got one of those 4 speeds sitting in my garage. Good thing it was cheap. ;)

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

4. I think that a T5 Id chart had been posted here before but here it is again.

It will show by ID what it came in and what ratio's it had.

Jeff

5. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Thanks for the info and the chart

6. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

I just bought a T5 out of a 86 mustang 5.0 they are supposed to be the strongest and it's world class. The one I bought has the S-10 tailshaft with mechanical speedo, that way you get the car gearing and strength of the later mustang world class but the shifter location of the S-10 T5.

7. joe_padavano

joe_padavano

This has been done a lot, particularly by the British car guys who are dropping 215s (and Rover derivatives) into all sorts of small Brit cars. D&D (the link above) sells the bellhousing. They also sell an adapter plate if you want to use the stronger Ford-pattern T5s from Mustang GTs and late GMs. The S10 tailhousing is an easy swap. Be careful with the S10 transmissions. Some have a granny-gear first that is only good to the other side of the crosswalk at stoplights. The better ones have a 3.76:1 first.