Register now to get rid of these ads!

t5 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadillacMat, May 2, 2011.

1. CadillacMat

CadillacMat

Ok... so I have a 66 Ford fairlane that I just picked up about a month ago she has a 200 6 cyl in it 3 on the tree 71,000 original miles 99% rust free paid. 1800 bucks for it. So this past Friday I drove it to Carlisle which is almost a 3 hour ride each way. The car ran great the only thing that bothers me is that cruising at 70 MPH I'm taching 3,200 rpms. I wanna put a t5 in it so I need help with which year t5 I need can I use my original bell housing? Do I need to convert it over to a hydraulic clutch? Do I have to change the flywheel ,what clutch should I use? Its my daily driver so I want to collect everything I need to do the swap so I can do it on a weekend so I don't want tie the car up since its my only mode of transportation at the moments since I don't have my 55 olds finished yet.

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

No, you can't use your bell housing to fit a T5 onto your 200 six. There was one year around '79-'81 or so where Ford had a B.H. that would bolt to a 200 and a T5. Sorry, but I don't have that part # right handy. Edit - try Ford T-4 bell: E1ZR – 6394-AA. I had copied and saved that part # a while back.

There was a guy on there several years ago that was making adapters out of older Ford B.H.'s. He welded on a plate to compensate for the extra length of the T5 input shaft, drilled and tapped for the T5 bolts and bearing retainer and then converted to use a cable clutch with a re-positioned fork pivot ball.

You may want to sign on over on fordsix.com if you haven't already. Do a search for "T5 bell housing". They could bring you up on the latest.

Later, Kinky6

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. Ole don

Ole don

I have heard several people say terrible things about hydraulic clutch linkage. Keep the old stuff. Once you make a trip like that with a five speed you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

4. CadillacMat

CadillacMat

Ok ill try that thanks

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

3200 won't hurt those short stroke motors. The least grade or headwind you will be dropping back into 4th. 200s do not have a excess of low end torque.

6. stlrider

stlrider

I did the the swap on my 62 with the 170 6cyl. I got the adapter from moderndriveline.com.

If the motor is from a 66 or newer you can use a 5.0 bellhousing.

The rpm's went from 3,200 to 2,300.
    It dogs going uphill and I have to down shift but I can run 70-80 easy all day.