Register now to get rid of these ads!

t5 ford tranny behind a sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jay, Jul 6, 2008.

1. jay

jay

I did do a search and i saw alot of gm t5's going behind gm products...and the same for fords going behind fords...but my daughter wrecked her 95 ford mustang...and as it sits in the backyard i ponder the question would the tranny work behind a 350 i have sitting around here...
    Her mustang was a 3.8 v6...i dont plan on drag racing the trans... but what would i have to do to get it to work behind a 350 chevy??

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Too much time & effort for little gain. There are no off the shelf adapters AFAIK, so anything you do is custom machine work = $$

If you want a T5 behind a 350, get one from a Camaro/Firebird.

What year 3.8? I might be interested in it for another project...

3. jay

jay

Its still in the 95 mustang

4. sawzall

sawzall

i believe eric swarr does have some method of placing the ford t5 trans behind a chevy..
    I saw his father do it a few years ago..

http://www.swarrauto.com/

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Before Phil1934 deleted his post, he mentioned Lakewood to Ford & CalPonyCar adapter to T5.

This will work, but you have to buy the Lakewood bellhousing that puts a toploader behind a Chevy, then get the small plate adapter that puts the T5 to toploader.

This will work, but you'll require a new input shaft. The '94-95 cars have a longer input shaft than earlier Fox-bodied Mustangs.

So to do this, you'd need the special bellhousing, the flat-plate adapter, and a new input shaft for the T5. With that much money invested, you'd be able to buy a rebuild T5 from a V8 Camaro & bolt it in...

Even though it's a '95, I still might be interested in the T5 if you end up not using it & parting the car...

6. jay

jay

Thanks guys...i been diggin into what it would take...and your right the cost factor is going to play a factor in the decision making...i think i will just hold out and find the right set up...anyone need parts?? ...pm me on the tranny ernie...

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

That's why I deleted it. I added up the costs of all and it only worked through 1993 and decided the cheapest route was to sell the Ford T5 and add a couple hundred to get a Chevy setup.