Register now to get rid of these ads!

t5 clutch setup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by quickgene, Sep 12, 2010.

1. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

I'm putting a mustang t5 behind a 52 ford 8ba. I'm redrilling a stamped ford bellhousing for the t5 tranny bolts. I have the 52 flywheel made for a 11" pressure plate -cover. What I would like to do is have the flywheel drilled for a s10 diaphram type cover. Use a s10 throw out bearing then put a mustang spline center in the s10 disk.

Has anyone went this route ? Will the s10 bearing fit in a 49-53 ford fork ? Or can I just use a 49-53 ford car bearing with the s10 cover. Or would I have to change the bell pivot and fork. I know I may have to sleeve the tranny input cover to the T.O. bearing size.

If I need to change the fork what years work ?
    It looks like s10 had some hydraulic and some mechanical linkage clutches. I don't know the years or engines that had mechanical. I don't want to use hydraulic.

S10 also had 9 1/8" and 9 11/16" discs what works best ?

I hear a long cover has some clearence problems.
    Is a diaphram cover shorter than the 3 finger long style ? Gene

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

T5 Tech.....try a search

3. Roupe

Roupe

I have a 59A with a S10 T-5. The engine and trans are mated with a truck 4 speed hogshead and an 3/4" adapter plate. I used a 10" Astro van disk and pressure plate with the S-10 throwout bearing. The flywheel was redrilled for the Astro pressure plate. I welded 2 pieces of round stock to the Ford clutch fork that fit in the groove of the S10 throwout bearing. Everything works great. I have about 1000 miles on this setup. I don't know if the clutch fork is the same in the later flathead. The Astro van clutch should work in your setup.

4. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

I have been checking the t5 stuff here for 9 mo now. Overwelming info but it's great. I guess I was going to wade through it all and some it up for my aplication. Run it by someone who did what I did before I waste 2 weeks and $200 on something that won't work. As you can see with Roupe's setup there are many different combinations. It is about as far from mine as you can get and still be a flathead. However there is one piece of valuable info. Roupe used round stock to alter the fork to hold the needed bearing. Thanks Roupe.

Anyone who did as I describe help me out here.

If anyone is offended that I ask about a question that has been talked about in the mountain of info, sorry. But a little help with my combo would be nice. Gene

5. Since you are using the flathead bell housing, why not use the flathead 9" clutch with a mustang disc? No clearance issues there. You could use the mustang throwout and modify the fork to fit it. Is the input shaft the correct length?

6. Yeah, I agree... LOTS of info, but hard to wade through. I did the same thing you did and spent LOTS of time doin' a search on the T-5 to flattie conversion-my brain still hurts. What I DID find out from all the tech stuff, is that while there's tons of T5 Tech (thanks, FlatErnie), I couldn't find the "exact" combo in the info presented that I need to finish up mine. Bottom line: I'm going to have to just use the nuggets of info from the T5 Tech and slog through it myself (read that: spending a couple of weeks and a couple of hunnert bucks;)) until I can get it to work...And then write a tech thread on it!:D
    Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

7. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

Yes, I have a 94 mustage t5 with the older short input shaft in it when I got it. The fellow had it in a 88 mustang pace car that burned. I'm good there.

The 9" ford clutch has the older big spline. The clutch may be a little weak and the fork is in the tranny and is a big to bearing. Harder to get a bearing to fit on a 49-53 ford fork.

I figured a 49-53 ford 9 1/2" clutch may work because I'm using a 49-53 ford stamped bellhousing and fork. The bearing should fit the input retainer with a shim on my bearing retainer. Then put the mustang center in the 9 1/2" ford disc. I think that may be the way to go.

I just didn't know if a s10 setup is shorter and easyer to get clearence for the splines. Gene