Register now to get rid of these ads!

t5 behind a 216

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950 chevy, Jun 27, 2010.

1. 1950 chevy

1950 chevy
    from fenton,mo

i have 91 t5 trans i am trying to put behind a 1950 216. i made a 1/2 inch adapter plate and the transmission is still sticking a 1/2 further than the adapter. are 216 and 235 bellhousings different depths.

2. 61falcon

61falcon

are you talking about the tip of the input shaft is out past the spacer. i think thats how they are, the input shaft will slide into the pilot bearing on the back of the crank and the spacer should end up flush with the block. have you tried putting it together yet?

3. 1950 chevy

1950 chevy
    from fenton,mo

yes i put it in and it is still sticking out 1/2 inch from the adpter plate. i was wondering if i still have to cut a 1/2 inch off the tip or make a wider adapter

4. 1950 chevy

1950 chevy
    from fenton,mo

some pics

Attached Files:

5. 61falcon

61falcon

looks like a wider space would be the way to go, if the input shaft is all the way into the crank. i dont know how much you could shorten the input as you would be moving the trans further through the clutch disc and would worry about not having enough spline for the disc to slide on before causing it to bind.

6. Christopher26

Christopher26

i HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN i PUT MY T5 IN AFTER i PULLED TH MOTOR FOR A REBUILD, I ENDED UP HAVING TO USE THE 4 BOLTS ON THE TRANN AND TIGHTEN THEM DOWN AND KIND OF "PRESS FIT IT" TOGETHER I AM NOT SURE IF MAYBE TE PILOT BUSHING IS MAYBE A LITTLE OUT OF ROUND OR WHAT BUT IT WORKED FOR ME, NOT SAYING ITS THE BEST WAY BUT AFTER ALIGNING THE CLUTCH A HUNDRED TIMES AND COUNTLESS 12 PACKS ITS THE ONLY SOLUTUTION I COULD COME UP WITH AND I HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM YET, JUST MY $.02 GOOD LUCK

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That isn't going to work as a proper adapter plate with the square hole. The trans just won't stay aligned.

Take a serious look at this adapter. http://www.hamiltonintakes.com/products/s10t-5-adapter.html Note that the hole for the bearing retainer on the trans (top photo) is machined to fit exactly. Then note that there is a lip on the adapter (Third photo) that acts as a bearing retainer when it goes in the hole in the bellhousing an gets the trans perfectly aligned. Not inexpensive but it will solve the issues you have and probably save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

8. 1950 chevy

1950 chevy
    from fenton,mo

that adapter from hamilton would not work on my bellhousing.but i get what you are saying

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. Hotrodlincoln#1

Hotrodlincoln#1
    from wy

I used a truck bell housing, and machined part of the trans input hub

10. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Hot Rod Works sell the adapter you are looking for - its on their website

11. i hear a 49-60 chevy truck will bolt right up to the t5, but ive not done it. im not shure wich clutch/pressure plate to use tho.

12. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I used a stock Nailhead bell housing and bored the center hole larger , then transfered the mounting holes. Why can't you do a Chevrolet engine the same way?

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Use the early 50's truck bellhousing, the 216 car bellhousing is different.

14. 50Delux

50Delux
    from Michigan

I've got the hot rod works adapter plate its really the way to go for the money.

15. sonicweb

sonicweb

On a 1955 235/t5 conversion I did for my 50 pickup, I used a clutch from an astro van. Napa sells the clutch disc separately. Rather than the spacer, I cut the pilot bearing shaft, throw out bearing shaft and extended the splines on the input shaft. Worked great.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

I am going with the hotrodworks.com adapter myself.

17. jan bogert

jan bogert

first of all pull the bell/h. check if the input /s. is going into the pilot bushing. if it does then you can go with a 1" adaptor plate. but i would take a little more off the input tip to make sure you don't bottom out on the crank. don't try to press fit it. and the one member is correct don't cut to much off the input shaft you will run out of spline for the c/disc. how i did a t5 on my '31 av8 conversion with the bell/h. on go to home depot and get a 3.8"wooden doll rod, insert it all the way in the input/s. then place a straight edge across the bell/h. make a mark were they meet. probally like 7" oor so anyway with that measurement add the thickness of the adaptor to that. then measure your input/s. to the mounting ears of the trans and that will tell you what you need to do. also i have those air cleaners they don't let the carb breath to well. i took the crome top off and cut it a 1/2" dwn from the top and re install it you'll see the paper element but breaths very good and looks good also.

18. terryble

terryble
    from canada

You have to cut 3/8 on an inch off the pilot ahead of the splinr and make the throw-out/ front bearing sleeve shorter as well, force it an stuff is going to break (expensive stuff).

19. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm going with Hamilton $130 vs $160 for the HRW

20. rangeman

rangeman
    from medford,or

There is a very good article on installing a t-5 trans on an inline six in the January 2011 issue of Street Rodder mag. The article says you may also need to modify (i.e. shorten) the trans bearing retainer. Hot Rod works will machine the retainer for $45 with your order. You may be able to check the article online.

21. GREASER815

GREASER815

The hot rod works has and adapter plate...I believe 1" thick is the ticket.

22. GREASER815

GREASER815

Isn't the hot rod one the only one that works with a stock 216 bellhousing? Believe I wastold that once.