Register now to get rid of these ads!

T.V and the real deal hotrod builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 17, 2007.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

I can see a show with hot rods done like 'This Old House' xept no thick Masshole drawls though. LOL :D

2. Choptop

Choptop

dont take this wrong... but video shot by amatures looks like it.
    believe it or not, there is a lot of skill involved in producing a TV show. Also getting people to submit video is not as easy as it sounds. I produce a podcast for a Ferrari owners website. We do GREAT podcasts, but in 1 year we have had exactly ZERO user submitted video segments, and the site is larger than the HAMB.

3. Ozzie

Ozzie

Hi folks, Ozzie from Miami here, currently in LA shooting Snoops new show. I've spoken with several people about doing a show similar to Hard Shine but with no drama, Just getting the car done, just the average day to day dealings of a Custom Traditional Shop, no stars. The cars and projects are the cars.... the concensus, There isn't enough interest for a show that would not have drama, shouting, deadlines, or Celebrity clients. Sure there may be a niche we can start by showing our fantastic rides to celebrities and when they ride them, maybe having them start to use them in Music Videos, and Movies, etc... instead of Bentleys, Rolls, Lambo's and Austin Martins but it's a hard sell. Our rides take a bit more knowledge to drive and keep on the road than the newer automobiles. We think it's just normal, but everyone else things there is some alure to having an old car. And there is, there is a sense of responsibility we have to keeping these cars on the road. I have folks all the time pull up next to me and give me the high five, or walk by and take pictures infront of my $15K car and not the $25K honda beside mine. A show about something we love would need to be long in order to pass along the information we would want about that subject. If a strip of shows could be done cheaply, lets say like 50 episodes during a 3 month shooting schedule, then maybe a smaller network would buy it for our shooting and production cost. They'd have something to air everyweek for a year at some ungodly hour and slowly as viewership grew, some advertising budget could be gotten....Hmmm, Maybe I'll look into that. I can buy 3 or 4 restorables and have a local shop just work on those two for a few months till they're done and cut the footage down to 10-15 episodes of each car. To really get into the art of the work and the tool manufacturers could buy time for spots ( commercials) I'll have to have some time off first....... Will keep you posted. Hey if seeing 3 guys sitting on a glasslike lake fishing brings people back to the tube every weekend for hours. This can make it if we push it hard enough.

PS, who here with a nice size shop with at least 14 foot ceilings, air conditioned and heated would like a TV crew to be in their hair 12 hours a day 6 days a week for like 3 months? PS, The TV crew would consists of about 8 folks in and around your shop. When I say in your hair, I mean when you brush your teeth and look in the mirror, You'll see me and a camera in the reflection........

4. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Dude, WTF is an Austin Martin?

I wanna be on your show.

5. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

i gotta agree Spikes power block is probably the best shows about building, American muscle car is good too, and overhauling aint bad

6. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have assisted in the making of 3 bmx videos, all of which were produced and sold in a large way. i have also had 3 segments picked up by tv shows. i am sure there are a few people on here that have an eye for this kinda thing. There is a very successfull bmx video magazine which does this very thing. i know pros will do the best job but to be honest I wouldnt care if it was a little lower quality as long as the editing made it entertaining.

7. Definitely a hack. Almost as bad as that Boyd guy, but not quite.

"Classic Car Restoration" on DIY is the best show.
    Just restoring old cars, mostly to get them driveable. No show queens and no BS.

8. Choptop

Choptop

well, we can do a test....

lets put out a call for videos from the next event... say, Hunnert Car Pile Up. I'll be there, and will be shooting some (i'll be mostly vending, but I can dash away from the booth long enough to get some shots).

Lets see what we can do.

P.S. I've got a production in mind and will start shooting a pilot this winter.

Why dont all the tv/film geeks here put our heads together and come up with something, combine efforts in different locations around the country? I can work Nor Cal.

Give me a call 916-207-4645 c, Alan.

9. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I my self work in a high end shop, and i look forward to the shows, mainly american hotrod. But i look forward to seeing what they are working on, and most of all there tools and equipment, other then that i hate it when anyone asks me what i do for a living and i tell them, then they go on and on about boyd and chip foose, and ask me all kinds of questions about them

the things that are real about his shop but glorified and played up are the deadlines, and the drama, any company/shop can have that drama, and also alot more work goes into the cars then you see, they make it look like its being built in a month but it rarely is, and when they deliver the car for the first time it usually makes it back to the shop for another year or so for "tweaking"

oh and hard shine, that has to be the worst produced show ever, 1 hour show with 20 minutes of new footage and a ton of shit repeated over and over.

10. Ozzie

Ozzie

"oh and hard shine, that has to be the worst produced show ever, 1 hour show with 20 minutes of new footage and a ton of shit repeated over and over.[/quote]"

That sadly has become an easy way to fill 44 minutes of required footage time for a 1 hour show. Maybe we can all get together and make a difference in the type of car shows that are out there. I got your PM, and will be visiting alot of places and Hamb members while i'm here in California for the next 3 months.

Ozzie

11. Listen- I hate to be the one busting you guy's ballon,but there is no way in hell ,a show as you describe it would fly.....

Have you not seen the eyes glaze over as :rolleyes: non car:D people hear you describe your latest effort-EVEN- when they ask you about it first?

There simply is not gonna be an audience for that.
    Sure there are folks like US who would enjoy the show as you describe it...
    I listen -as folks I know and talk to describe shows like Street Rod TV- American Chopper-American HotRod etc etc etc....
    And what struck me as unusual was this-
    Mostly the ones who seemed to be regular viewers and stated they REALLY LIKED the shows were-
    1-"shutins"& Women...I mean even 80 yr old ones:D
    2- Non car dudes who I personally know cant change a damned flat tire muchless chop a top-or god forbid shave a door handle.....:rolleyes: .
    3- EX:eek: WWF Zombie Groupies who pick up pop cans to pad their pockets.

12. Yeah and to add to the audit of this idea I will say this...
    What in the hell made these shows exlusive to either left or right coasts?......These type shows are usually -ONLY-based on these type people/Shops.... when in reality the majority of actual bussinesses like that in the rest of America just in case anyone ever cares to actually check it out......

13. Degreaser

Degreaser

It could work with a pbs deal.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That is a GREAT show. I just can't seem to catch it as much as I would like. It's very well done. There's also one that does motorcycles that I like and I don't even own a bike.

15. GrantH

GrantH

Lou says some of the funniest shit, not to mention just the way he is in general on the show. It's entertaining just watching him do his thing. He's got skill too IMO.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Power block is okay, but what makes me question it's validaty is the lack of dirt and grease! When's the last time any one of you worked on a car and stayed clean. Not just clean.....FREAKING SPOTLESS. No dirty nails. No hands wiped on your pants because you left your shop rag across the garage!? Give me a break. I get dirty getting READY to work on my car.

17. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Why does it have to be about building cars, why not just enjoying the hobby? Even non car people could relate to a hot rod road trip to the right location. Give Denise a video camera, she is brilliant.

18. JimSibley

JimSibley

Im thinking an all encompassing hobby style show would be great. I took 4 non-car people to viva last year. They had a ball. The rockabilly lifestyle is entertaining, as is the car show scene. I would think 10 minutes of a grassroots builder doing something, not talking but actually accomplishing something. A flame job, chop a top, interior, airride, flame throwers ect..., a little rockabilly scene band thing or fashion thing and a short tour of the most recent hotrod show would hold the attention of most people. There are really some good ideas being thrown around here. Its kinda like a think tank, I like it.

19. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Add winding country roads, hot rods and out of the way places, and you've it all covered.

The salt cured Hamb tour comes to mind.

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

The problem is that the attention span of modern people......is .......erm.......what was I talking about?

21. Upchuck

Upchuck
    from Canada BC

I've seen the guys and Jesse on all the powerblock shows except one filthy dirty, not much dirt on the horsepower segment though

22. RacerRick

RacerRick

An amature with a Prosumer quality 3CCD digital camera (DV100, GL1/2, etc) can get enough good footage for a show without to much effort. The shot ratio will be something like 10 to 1, but you just get them to shoot everything instead of picking their shots. Multiple cameras for an event is pretty much a must. If its a indoor thing, lighting it realllly important. Luckily most cameras of the minimum quality I am talking about have large bright optics.

Sound is what really makes or breaks a small homegrown production. Crappy sound can make the best shots be garbage. Put lots of effort into good sound and the production will seem much more professional.

Editing is really the biggest issue. It takes a ton of time. I did a quick and dirty 4 minute video of the Mokan drags this year and it took 2 hours, and could use a couple of clips replaced or recut from the raw footage. It was a very easy edit with minimal titles, a single song in the background, and not storeytelling or pacing to really worry about. It takes much longer to try to make something good!

23. NoSurf

NoSurf

Why the hell isn't Ryan wearing one of those goofy cameras on his fricken forehead right now while he's at Ranche de Tardel????!!! :)

24. Fairlane Dave

Fairlane Dave

I can understand why a real hotrod show wouldn't fly on a network like Discovery or TLC. They are trying to appeal to the masses and get their commercial bucks rolling in. What I don't understand is why a niche specific station like Speed wouldn't take something like this on...or even the Powerblock family. Hell, I don't really dig muscle cars at all, but I'll sit there and watch the show because I like working on cars. Seems like there would be a similar thing with traditional rods. There may not be enough of us to warrant a show specifically, but I bet lots of other car enthusiasts would check it out.

Of course, that also might explain why I'm an engineer and not a TV executive!

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

Yes,Yes,Yes nothing looks better than a real car gettin it out on the open road. Shoot we could have footage fromraces all over the globe as well.

26. shpotty

shpotty
    from New Jersey

I was watching one of these "Car Shows" a couple of weeks ago and they were just starting a full-on resto of a '60s car. The thing was a mess and they bgan to strip the car down. The first thing they did on the car was put new brakes in it. They didn't strip the paint...didn't fix the rust...didn't rebuild the motor...no, they put a billet master cylinder in it and showed how to bleed brakes.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

These guys do a good job. They have fun and it looks easy to do. Just film things instead of taking pics. A disposable camera, that shoots 20 minutes of film with audio, can be gotten at just about any drug store or Wallymart for $20! Perhaps a section of this board could be for nothing else but videos. It can't be that hard. I already have my camera for my first start up and drive. I can't wait to post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcD0-q-X6y8

28. Blackjack Hotrods

Blackjack Hotrods

I know when they first started doing shows on Jesse James I was fascinated by the way he did metalwork with the hammer and bag and the english wheel and I think most of the other people that saw the shows were too. Now, in the last 'Motorcycle Mania' show he was a bit too whiny about how he gets hounded all the time and he has no privacy because he's too famous. I can understand because he really loves to do what he does and it must suck to not be able to do it without people and cameras 'in your hair'. Also, the monster garage show they did with all the old school guys doing their thing was the best. I liked seeing them do all the lead work and how they each did what they did with no drama because they couldn't care less about being famous or on tv, they just love building cars. I could think of nothing better than a TV show to teach people how to build their own cars, splitting wishbones, fabricating a frame, chopping a top, sectioning, pancaking.......just to take some of the money out of the pockets of dickheads like Boyd and the other guy with the sooperdooper cars. I can't figure out why people like to watch that hawaiian shirt wearing Nazi and his bald sidekick yell at and belittle their employees to build a car for someone who wil pay 6 figures for it and then sell it at Barrett Jackson the next year (the yellow mustang).

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"I can't figure out why people like to watch that hawaiian shirt wearing Nazi and his bald sidekick yell at and belittle their employees to build a car for someone who wil pay 6 figures for it and then sell it at Barrett Jackson the next year (the yellow mustang)."

It's because that crap sells to the MTV generation. The same audience that's fasinated by a bunch of whinning punks living in a house, are the same ones who think a showcar, not a hot rod, can be built in 6 weeks. Those are the same people who call a '57 Chevy a Dodge. They don't know half as much as they wish they did. They are the ones that look at a traditional rod and call it a rat rod. They have no clue, but they'll buy the latest cell phone that gets shown in the commercial break. Just take a look at the ads during shows like Boyds and you'll get a glimpse of who the show is catered to.

Ten minutes of car stuff, then a commercial for scented douche. What does that tell you?

Besides being fresh.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->