Register now to get rid of these ads!

T.V and the real deal hotrod builder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 17, 2007.

1. That's hilarious, thanks

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

That is the best description I have heard. you, my friend, "get it"

3. old-hermit

old-hermit
    from SC

Of all the reality car/bike shows "Chop, Cut, Rebuild" is about as close to reality as it gets and it ain't worth wasting 30 minutes on.

4. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

The first season of Biker Buildoff was cool.
    Build a running bike in a month vs another guy.

It was before the builders turned into primadonnas.
    The dude from Florida built his tank out of a sportster tank I think,
    broke down on the ride out, etc.
    Then they actually ride them a good distance to be judged.

There are alot of good builders out there,
    I'd go against someone!!

tp

5. tigerShark

tigerShark
    from Tampa Bay

power block is good but theres not much low buck/budget/everyday joe stuff on there. first thing they do with every project is swap in the latest gm crate motor. i would like to see these guys paying theyre dues at the swap meets and junk yards. that would interest me more. maybe power "block could add a 5th show. they could call it "the home built rod" or budget rodder". it would be even cooler if it was filmed in someones 2-car garage.

6. Dave L

Dave L
    from Idaho

I have to agree here, In my opinion, (and no you dont have to beat it out of me) take our Tech Archive for example, that would be a great start to a "how to" show, stuff like getting bargains at the swap meets, yanking parts out of a salvage yard, and making things work with what you have.

etc.

7. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

"Build Them White" staring Jimmy White

a show about one of hot roddings most talented least known famous super hero's trying to make it. doesn't want to be rich, doesn't want to be famous. just wants to make a living and support his family doing what all of us love, building period perfect hot rods. a show about flawless fabrication and the day to day struggles of trying to keep the shop doors open.

I'd watch it

8. Maybe Tetanus Shot could show us just how he built that A.

9. Power block is close,at least it's got Courtney, But they brought in that snotnosed tuner car kid on horsepower and dropped Chuck Hansen..now that sucked Chuck is one of us just a back yard builderguy......now about that bald guy on muscle car....ah screw it thats still to early in the morning, Id rather work on the ride before its too hot outside:D

10. Choptop

Choptop

not even that, I've worked on COPS and you can do ALOT with editing. Nothing was ever staged, but one can turn what was a "C" or "D" story into a high "B" story with the magic of editing.

You are right though, its as close as you are going to get.

Like Evel, I've got a few shows up my sleeve... but doing a TV show is expensive all the way around. Even if you do a "pay-to-play" deal. You can buy air time on some cable channels, and you get x% of the advertising slots, they get the rest, but you pay up front and then you have sell your ad slots to make money. Last time I checked one smaller cable channel (Outdoor Channel) wanted ~$30k for 13 .5 hour episodes and you got 2.5 minutes/ episode to sell.

This does not count the cost of production, which is LARGE.

it can be done, but its tough.

There is a pilot brewing in the Billetproof Headquarters.

watch this space for updates :D.

11. Appleseed

Appleseed

Cops rules. Thank god cable runs the shit out of those shows. Don't they have like 7 or 8 hundred episodes? I always like to see some turd run from the cops, they could be black, white, mexican, donkey, female, etc.. and they all say the same crap almost word for word. " I didn't do nuthin'. Why are you cuffing me?" Ha ha ha!

12. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

It would definatly be cut down :D...I wish I could share my TV shows..but I'm
    trying to put togther a pilot to pitch,,,

13. JimSibley

JimSibley

Now we are talkin. Im thinkin you could do the same thing using a multitude of guys. i would love to see an episode on plowboy, or jimmy Benitez, shoot one week in my mess would make a pretty good episode. you could even do episodes on car clubs, or artists.I would love to see a show like this with a travelling commentator, that spends a week or 2 with a different builder and edits it down to a 30 minute spot.

14. I think TV oughta have a crank on it.....
    That way if you were stupid enough to still watch it after all that hand cranking, we would at least have an idea what you were like.
    Most of these shows are pretty much like WWF wrestling was in its heyday...remove the drama and the ratings would plummit.
    Back to the subject...I don't think there is any real need for the hotrod shows already on muchless another one based on more of a reality theme....
    No ordinary joe viewers would want to see someone actually building a car- that by far exceeds their attention span.....

15. Choptop

Choptop

Just so ya'll know SpeedVision is shooting a "Kustom Kulture" show that will be out in Feb. I have no idea if its going to be any good. They shot an entire episode at the 2007 Billetproof Detroit show. The content from that show ids great, but a show can be made or broken in the editing. We'll see. We gave them good material.

the show is being produced by the same crew that produces Dream Car Garage.
    http://www.dreamcargarage.com/about_us.htm

16. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Umm... I think I know where you got that title- I'll tell my dad it made the HAMB! ;)

17. DrJ

DrJ

I watch shows like "This Old House" all the time, and I guess enough others do too or they wouldnt still be on TV.
    I don't see why someone can't do "This Old Car" or better, "This Old Hotrod"
    They might be surprised at the turnout!?!

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The HAMB has a lot of members and I enjoy reading the threads where pics are posted from different events. In fact the best threads are the event pic threads. So, how about, instead of taking pics, people take videos and post them here or better yet....

(drum roll) HAMB Tube! A website much like YouTube, but ONLY traditional rods and customs. Moderators could police it so that none applicable crap wouldn't get posted. Think how much more info could be passed on about a car, if you had the owner tell you about it. A lot of guys with cars would love to give a 10 minute talk about their car, if they knew it would be posted on a site where it would get seen by people who really give a rats ass.

Chances are just about everyone on this site has seen a car at an event and talked to the owner about it. Next time, you could have a camera and record it and post it. Hell, they sell one use video cameras at Walmart and drug stores that record 20 minutes of video with sound for $20. You can even edit them, but that would actually take away from the experience.

HAMBtube...... kinda has a ring to it.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It may be real as far as the chases and crooks, but I have yet to hear a "real" cop ask/tell someone, "Stop resisting!". "Shut the fuck up or I'll blow yer fucking head off!" is more like it. The cops on that show are just too polite, I have to laugh my ass off.

20. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

haha yeah, I was going to say that thanks to JimA's dad for the title, but i wasn't 100% sure that was your dad and didn't want to step on any toes, it was good to see you at breakfast too. post some pictures of his roadster!

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

My favorite PBS tv show was The Wood Wrights Workshop no drama no hype just a good build even if it isn't cars, Now if someone could come up with a rod related program along the same lines I think it would be a winner.

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

man,
    I like the sound of that.

23. Evil, I am gald you covered this. I was just goign to chime in and say F tv, got get MFS dvds. and Kiwi Kev you are right about the HAMB as well its a well rounded Online Tv show . lol I spenf a majority of my online time right here on the HAMB.... If not here, then researching traditional rods etc.

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I don't wanna see a show hosted by Courtney Love, I don't think anybody does.

25. 61 chevy

61 chevy

why is it, all those shows have a tight deadline to finish, like do 2 weeks work in 1,they all make it, if it was real, some would fail, i know, its tv

26. You are preaching to choir here. Thanks for saying what I have been telling my family. Your last sentence sums it up.

27. mustangsix

mustangsix

They tried that, but I think the producers got confused and instead of Jimmy White, they got Barry White......sooper dooper muscle cars and all.

28. Choptop

Choptop

the problem with online is:

all of the production expense, none of the advertising income.

29. JimSibley

JimSibley

It seems to me that the hamb could aliminate a lot of production costs. No travel time if each contributor filmed himself. No payed employees except maybe an editor,who could serve as commentator. No payed cast or crew. I guess all it would need is a facilitator that could edit it, and we could distribute a monthly hamb video magazine via the internet. i myself would sign up and pay a monthly subscription to something like this.

30. two shows come to mind for me. "Cruzin' northwest" was on saturday mornings here in the drizzly p.n.w. The show was done by the folks who do "Cruzin' norhtwest" magazine. I dont know if its still on anymore. Another show is "Go Kustom" on one of the uhf channels or cable access channels. I find it on youtube.com under{obviousley}"Go Kustom"