Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Roadster Tube Chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low-n-slo54, Jun 25, 2014.

1. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I was just handed a lot of round, heavy guage steel tubing. I was wondering if some one would have any advice on building a chassis for my car out of this. I will measure and cut it then send it off to be welded. Running a 350/350 combo in it for now.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. gecko54

gecko54
    from Sumner, WA

Space frames unlike standard rectangular tubing introduce some unique challenges. Proper trussing and bracing must be applied. Some designs use round tube so it does flex/twist. You have some homework ahead or you. It will look bitch'n though.

3. What kind of car would you use with this frame? HRP

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It's going under a '23 T.

5. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

What diameter tube ? Agree with above, do your homework and you could end up with something unique.

6. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It's 2 1/4" OD, maybe a hair more. Not sure of the wall thickness but it is thick. I'll get out the micrometer tomorrow.

I'm wondering if a ladder like frame would be necessary. I like the look bit wonder if it would be over kill.

7. daddylama

daddylama

is it tube... or pipe?
    "thick" and "maybe a hair more than 2 1/4" OD" starts to sound like pipe. any printing on it? say something like SCH40?

2" schedule 40 pipe is 2.38" OD...

8. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It's pipe. I haven't seen any writing on it. I'm sure there is but I haven't had time to mess with it.

9. daddylama

daddylama

years ago we build a.... sand rail?... out of 2" sch40 pipe, a GMC straight 6 & a 3 speed...

it was HEAVY.

the idea was we were going to put a T body on it (that we didn't have, or know the dimension of)... and make a sweet "street rail" that could be drag raced, tear up fire roads, scream through the desert, whatever. what we ended up with was something HEAVY that never would have fit a T body.

not saying it can't be done... but i'd start with tubing, vs pipe. also not being an idiot 20 year old like i was then :D

low-n-slo54 likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a rule regarding building structural components for automobiles. If the material in question is not marked with its specifications, it goes directly into the recycle bin.

Pipe is for water, gas, and effluent, not a chasis.

There is a reason why traditional ladder-style frames are made from rectangular elements, and not round tube. Thick is not good, just heavy. Ever watch NASCAR? See a driver walk away from a spectacular crash?

That's a properly designed chassis, made largely from 0.125" wall tubing.

Even on rectangular tube ladder chassis, the thickness is frequently 0.125". For a demanding application, like a real load carrying truck, that might be 0.1875", but that's it.

Remember, there are a whole lot of cars out there that have no frame at all, and are made of 22, 20, 18, and 10ga. sheet metal.

Just because you have it, does not mean that you should use it.

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Thanks Gimpy. In the bin it goes.

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Depending on how much of the pipe you have , you can sell it. It makes nice steel fence rails, a steel fence is nice in general, all you have to do is paint it. :)

13. daddylama

daddylama

pipe is still super useful around the shop...

I use Hollaender Speed-Rail fittings & 2" pipe for jigs, temporary frame tables, a-frame overhead hoist, etc... hell, even use it for the kid's play structure.

http://www.hollaender.com/?page=speedrail

14. alchemy

alchemy

Racks to stack wheels on. Legs for benches. Vice stands. Plenty of things to use it on, just not your car.

15. AA/FA 0045

AA/FA 0045

A Model T chassis from a company like Speedway isn't too expensive. I'll bet you can sell that pipe and off set the cost of a new chassis.

16. Low-n-slow.
    Send me some specs and I'll scratch you out a some prints.

My advice on the chassis is this, cut and tack the tubing fit the body and modify the chassis to suit. Once it is all tacked together then take it out and have it welded.

low-n-slo54 likes this.