Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-n-t At Tulsa Tonight

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bob hindman, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bob hindman

bob hindman

The Hornet Will Be There Who Elllesssse???????

Hiney.....

2. ThingyM

ThingyM

We will be doing the Nitro thing tomarrow at Fontana otherwise I would...(still got to finish the car first) Let us know how things go...

3. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

The Hornets and Ramrods cars SUCKED.:(
    Both teams missed there tune up, track was too crowded to get more than 2 passes in.

4. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hey Ted what really happened? Did you hang arround on the starting line to see if there was a real green light?

5. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Hornets and Ramrods,

What times did you turn? ET & MPH?

Ron

6. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

Hornets ran 13.15 101 12.79 101 second run Game warden made us buy a duck stamp for all the ducks we shot Ramrods ran 13.20 a 100 plus both times I think I was to busy picking up ducks only got 2 runs dont know where all them folks came from

7. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Mudflap,

Thanks for the ET & MPH info. Has anyone got any 60 foot times? I'm curious what the 60 Foot times are with the 6 inch tire.

Ron

8. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hay Ron, check out you tube and go to the bottom of the page, do a search HA/GR and see the 3 films from last summer at mokan. One is a ride along with the Hornet, One is a ride along with the Ram and the other is camera mounted on the Hornet aimed at the Ram side by side for the big race.

9. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

our best 60 ft time is a 1.73 that was at indy last year friday night it was 1.95

10. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Ron, The times from last week were terrible. the first pass the track would not let us line in the groove because they said or street tires would peel the rubber up at the starting line. So,the car just set there and spun:mad: . Second pass they let us in the grove but I didn't even look at the 60'. Both cars was running to rich,we only got two runs in not enough too fix .

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

You guys are spoiled. Didn't you know about the 100 mile rule? "All cars must be located at least 100 miles from any drag strip".

12. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

So sorry,Rand Man.:D :D

13. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Joe,

I saw the films and their a hoot. They got my blood flowing again since it's been awhile since I've made a trip down the quarter mile.

Ron

14. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Mudflap,

I'm surprised the 60 foot times are that good on a 6" tire. Has anyone tried treating the tire with some kind of compound to soften the rubber? Just curious since I'm always trying to find ways to go quicker/faster.

Ron

15. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Good 60 ft times=AUTOMATIC and good CONVERTER:)

16. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

hornets havent tried that to far advanced for us old men had to air tires up at indy due to the amount of vht that was down dont know what others have done

17. ThingyM

ThingyM

Hey Mac,,, What is this about "Our street tires tearing up the rubber on the track"" Where did that come from?? Or does that track not allow STREET cars to run there?? Whos wackey idea was that???? Looks like we will have to start running "Cheater Slicks"

18. Godzilla

Godzilla

Oh Lord...lets not go through the cheater slick deal again. That is a taboo subject..."evil real racing parts not allowed."

Like Ron said...just treat your tires with something like "goat P." Then screw the bead to the rim to keep them on. ha ha.

19. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Thingy,, When Tulsa has a big money race with 7sec cars they claim the street tires tear the rubber of the starting line so they make the street tire cars run to the side of the grove. There not used to seeing a dragster with street tires. On our 2nd run they let us back in the grove. They figured it out that the light weight dragster wont hurt the starting line.

20. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Ron,

Goat P ???? Now that's something I haven't tried yet. Do you think it would help ram the car forward?

Ron

21. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Mr. Mac, just takes some people longer than others to figure out something simple like that. It amazes me any more that people do not have any common sense.
    I guess it should'nt. I work with several engineers that can not make a simple decision unless they can put some kind of instument on the piece of eguipment first. If the thing is growling, shut it down. NO, they have to make sure the bearing is going out first?:eek:

22. Godzilla

Godzilla

Ron, "Goat p" is just one of the tire dressings that are available for racers. I raced a 150 mph speedway go cart...it will make the cart stick like glued to the ground.

Google it...I am not kidding...you will have to screw the tires to the rim...great way to test your axles too.

23. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Ron,

Thanks for the tip. It sounds like it might be a blessing for our 6" tires.

Ron

24. ThingyM

ThingyM

Yea But at some tracks, If they find out you are using it they won't let you run. I do know that at Bakersfield its that way andPalmdale too....

25. Godzilla

Godzilla

Most of the modern tire dressings are totally undectable (see Track Claw below)...they have been for years. I suppose if you jacked your car up in the pits and painted your tires right there you could get caught using it if the rules outlaw its use.

To use it properly it is applied in stages in the shop and has to be left to completely dry...or soak into the rubber. It is not a surface treatment like VHT...it is a rubber conditioner that is absorbed into the rubber.

I have used it in every form of racing...on dirt, asphalt and concrete...and never been asked to pack it up. Chances are if you are getting beat the guys you are racing are using it....

Its a personal choice though...like fuel additives and oil additives, you can use them or not.

[​IMG]

26. recycler

recycler

If tracks don't want it used --- why????? Does it hurt a prepped track or something???
    Brad

27. Godzilla

Godzilla

Speaking from my experience only...there are some karting and dirt track racing classes that require a "hard" compound (mostly to control costs). I have never run across a drag class that identified a particular race tire compound or restricted the compound of the race tires that were run. Only street tires.

These tire treatments just change the compound of the tire. Street tires use a fairly hard compound (middle of the road)...a tire treatment can make them more like a softer drag tire compound. The hard rubber on street tires WILL damage a prepared racing surface if they are on a heavy car...they can lift the soft rubber on the track and cause it ball up. Tires will throw up little balls of rubber.

You can also get your compound too soft with this stuff and the rubber on the tire will feather when it gets on a hot slick track...then the tire is only good for a heavy or cold track...so you have to be careful and know what you are doing.

Tire compound 101: "soft moves toward hard." Rubber on soft tires will moves toward hard racing surface. Soft rubber on track will move toward hard tire compound. You usually want to be slightly softer than the racing surface.

Like I said, this has been MY experience here in the middle of the country.