Register now to get rid of these ads!

"T" front end drop question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigscooter, Sep 25, 2011.

1. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

hi guys, i'm new here. i've been collecting stuff to build one of these(two pics).
    i really like how this front spring bracket is set up. is this something i would need to fab myself? could i heat/twist/bend it, or would this need to be bent cold (with special equiptment)? what type of metal should be used? does that look like 1/2" stock?
    thanks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like 1/2" bar in the picture. Should be able to heat and bend it around a guide. Might take a couple of practice pieces to learn where to start the bends, etc. If you look
    close it is not twisted, there are two 45 degree (?) bends which put the spring mount
    area ahead of the rest of it. Bet you one of the "T" speedster guys makes and sells these though.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

These were made comercially at one time, but that was probably 70 years ago. It would probably be best these days to make it instead of hunt. I f I were to do this for myself, I would look at making it a bit narrower, and sliding into the frame instead of out side the rails. I'd go back a bit deeper too.
    There is a thread on here called something like "speedsters, gow jobs, and modifieds - early tech" I suggest you search that and spend the next hour or so looking.

4. 117harv

117harv

There was a thread awhile back with this pic in it, a major discussion ensued on whether it was safe enough. I can see better ways to lower the car, i guess it works as the builder/owner of the one pictured drove it. I will agree it does have a different look, maybe abit thicker steel...jmo

5. The T pictured above belonged to and was built by Roy "Multy" Aldrich. "Multy" was a tech inspector for SCTA for years, drove that T to the lakes and Bonneville. He ran that car at the lakes for years, so I'm sure the front spring perch was safe enough for that little roadster that probably weighed around 1800lbs. Multy was a cheap old fart, and never paid for anything he could make himself. I'm sure he bent up that perch where he worked for decades in the Bloomington Garage.

6. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

the reason i like this spring bracket(besides it's looks) is that i don't have to cut up the original frame. the more i look at the bracket, the more difficult it looks. can you guys think of some cut/weld bracket i can make to bolt on?

that link was a good read.

thanks!

7. chaddilac

chaddilac

Just buy a dropped T axle.... Pm Gmc Bubba he can help you find the person that does them!

GMC Bubba's T

Attached Files:

8. bigscooter

bigscooter
    from oregon

hi guys, it took me a while but i finally ended up making one of these instead. i copied this old advertisement. i would have just bought one for $16 but i think they've been on back order since 1929.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Very nicely done,I do respect that,,,Thats what we need more fabrication then buying stuff through catalogs...........

10. cool
    did you make more than one
    also look at the thread about depression era performance
    long and awsome
    tk