Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T coupe door handles..Alternative???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mark Jenny, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

has anybody out there substituted a different door handle on their T coupe? I need to do something for my doors and new ones are super pricey,as are used ones...can the roadster handles be swapped?..they are reasonably priced for replacements

hrm2k likes this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I assume you mean the latch mechanisms.
    I purchased a set from Bert's Model A Center in CO and thought the price was just OK considering what originals can cost.
    I have also bought items and rebuilt latches which is fine, but one clock type spring I found difficult to source at the time.
    Beware, that some repro latches do have a built in fault when it comes to the locking mechanism within the latch body itself.
    It is no big deal if you take your time to check it out once installed.
    The main pin inside is too long and just needs to be shortened slightly so it does not foul the lock slide.
    I believe bear claw style latches have been used but I have no experience with them, but see some folks seem to have trouble clearing stuff and need to use extra levers and rods to make stuff work.

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

If you use a different year / model's handles and latches.
    note the shape of the doorskin where the handle's bezel mounts...
    the new bezel has to be close to the stock handle bezel ...

4. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yes...I mean the latch mechanism....my other T coupe has the bear latch assembly which is smooth on the door shutting and clicking,but the mechanism doesnt work from the inside knob, so you gotta reach out the window to open the door...and as far as cost,I dont know that its a money saver or not to go with the bear latches

5. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

must be why the open car latches dont work..it mounts differently than the coupes door

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

7. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Thank you fiftyv8. I bought the latches and have trouble with the locks. Guess I need to tweek them a bit. Mark, I agree that the repro latches are a bit pricey, but I have to applaud Vintique for stepping up to the plate and reproducing them. Before, all you could get was the rebuild kit with the springs and such to try to repair your old rusted solid 90 year old crap. There can't be much of a market out there for our old T's. People here seem to quibble about service from our suppliers but don't realize that they need enough orders to justify making a production run that at best will be small. These are small mom and pop operations sometimes; not Walmart. So buck up and spend your money.

9. james reynolds

james reynolds

10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Model A pick ups used the same doors as the Model T coupes. Henry reused them on the Model A pick up cause he had too many left over when the Model T coupe stopped being produced.

11. james reynolds

james reynolds

good info thanks.
    do you know if the window glass sticks up above the door on the model a doors?

12. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

yea...I usually dont quibble about prices,after all I paid like 500.00 for 2 sets of model A coupe door hinges...I'll never cut up a set again!!:eek:....I did order a set of them from Howells...still waiting:confused:

13. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

I've heard that they are the same..isnt it for just a year or two after the T's?...they sure are hard to fing used...must be because new ones are 225.00 a set and you have to buy a pair...nobody sells just one ....anyway...still waiting for the set I ordered from Howells:confused:..maybe they will show up next year some time:rolleyes:

14. Mark Jenny

Mark Jenny

it seems like T parts are much more pricey than A parts..is it because they are less popular?

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Kinda. I think it's because there's less volume when the stuff gets made and the demand just about matches, if not exceeds the supply.

Mark Jenny likes this.
  16. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing says hot rodder more than opening the door from the outside handle while you are inside

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chevy57dude likes this.