Register now to get rid of these ads!

T confiscated because of engine number?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noah*, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobMcD

BobMcD

This would all be a non issue if the car had a title to begin with.

2. As you may have noticed, when these sorts of situations arise, all of the internet tough guys and lawyers, who got their degree from the University of Mom's Basement, log on and blather on about how they would handle the situation. Real easy when it isn't you.
    I spent 10 years with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The deputies were a cross section of humanity. Some were dicks, most weren't, just like every where else in life

3. Clik

Clik

Yeah. I know but that's the lingo of the MVA, DMV, cops and the trade in general. Sort of like a news "commentator". Shouldn't it be "Commentor"?

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Is it possible that the oddly stamped numbers on the block that look like they were trying to be obliterated is the assigned VIN from Colorado ?? When we had the problem with a 40 Chevy and Texas assigned a new VIN to it, the new number had a tag on the door, number stamped in the frame and on the motor. If Colorado does the same.... look at the VIN on that 57 Chevy and see if it is the same as on that block.

5. k9racer

k9racer

To quote old hamb member Dr.J "" Power is a dangerous drug"" ..............Years ago while on jury duty we the jury were told by the D.A "" What a reasonable person would think"". ....................................

6. classic gary

classic gary

why the hell would ANY DMV use an engine number to re-title/VIN a vehicle? EVERYONE knows engines are like toilet paper, use it, deposit it, get another roll. A state assigned VIN would be a permanent tag or a REALLY good sticker, that should stay on the CAR for the long future.

I bought a '59 Biscayne 2dr sedan 348 4 speed from a salvage yard, the title had been turned in by the salvage yard. I took the car to the DMV and they put a state issued VIN on it, and on the paper it had BOTH numbers, the Chevrolet VIN and the state issued VIN so there was NO chance of questions.
    I just don't understand why some DMV's make this stuff so damn complicated.

7. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

This entire post is making me dizzy...... I just want to hear he has the car home and could give 2 craps about the engine at this point.
    That being said, I do hope the courts see the confusion and at MINIMUM, allow him to keep his proven, paid for parts.

Good Luck!!!!!

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right to get your knickers in a twist, however, being a Motown for life resident I've met way more of your colleagues who are complete and total dicks, liars and thieves. Had one lie in court once saying I'm at a cruisin location every night when I hadn't been there all year. All over a bullshit loitering ticket he had to win. Well he didn't win and I made him tell it right, that he'd NEVER seen that car there before, and I was there legally in the 1st place. That's just an easy one. I could bore you to death with other stories because up here they really do have an "us against them" attitude. Guilty unless proven otherwise, and it's all about the almighty dollar for their fuckin budgets. Sadly, while I know it's a career that ultimately puts your life on the line, which I have immeasurable respect for, I still can't trust the boys in blue up here. All of em? Nope. Most of em? You bet. Thank you for being a dedicated public servant. I long for the day I can thank all of your colleagues, and I've been in similar scenarios to the OP's. I got loud and legal real fast, and it was my last salvage vehicle as well. No more. Legal paper or I'll pass.

Too late, but I'd have titled that T when I bought it then had my way with it after, and this topic is why.

9. Get a lawyer? get a lawyer? you all are a bunch of wussies, this is TEXAS we're talkin bout! You get a posse together and go down there an go all spider monkey on his azzz and then use him as a speed bump on the way out.....oooorrrrrr, just be greatful this guys being somewhat helpful by letting you drop the engine and keep the ride, once it clears itself out you might still get the engine..might be an opportunity to make a friend in blue here for you also.. just eh, loosen the oil pan bolt on the way out and let the T mark her spot on the jail house wall.... an that's what I'ld do, I think, maybe, if the wife would let me...depends on how big the cop was

10. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

It sucks but this is another reason to title a car before you build it, he could just as well assume the whole car is stolen since you don't have a title for it.

11. All the comments about engine numbers not being VINs are about 50/50.

See, most "normal citizens" today do not understand that once upon a time the numbers were just an engine assembly number. Starting in the 1960s (that's 50 years ago, folks) the VIN was stamped into the major components. So, by default, most people think it's always been that way...kinda like how we've "always" been able to record TV programs, right?

My opinon, and it's just that, is that the officer seeing an altered pad and knowing that (in his experience) the VIN is embossed there reached the conclusion that it had been tampered with and merited further examination. Seems to me the guy is doing what he was supposed to do, based on the law.

For the people that are screaming about proving it is stolen before impound, I suggest you work to rewrite the legislation to support your views.

I'm not law enforcement, but I did grow up around them..like has been said, most are just ordinary people, a few better, a few worse..just like the rest of the world.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  12. I assume by bonded title you mean a "registration in your name" allowing then to buy insurance?
    The Model T & A used the motor number as the VIN number of the vehicle. Since the motor has been changed to a modern motor you would think your Motor Vehicle department would now assign you a new unique modern VIN chassis number which would be afixed to the body or frame. (at least that is how it works in British Columbia. This also allows you to get a modified collector plate for cheap insurance!) So the Motor number becomes a moot point? :confused:

13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

but did he get the car back?

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

im trying to read the number , what is it 0 2? 64235 ?.in fairness is it any wonder the pig took the car .if u had an engine or car nicked u would be singing his praises for getting the motor back.

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

not yet.

16. Kinda hard to get a title for an assembled vehicle before you assemble it...there is a process (fortunately), but it is an arduous one. In TX to obtain title for an assembled vehicle it must be inspected by local auto theft task force - most will not inspect a vehicle that does not run, so you have to build it first.

Moral to the story - check your numbers before you buy and get receipts/bills of sale for everything!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Fenders

Fenders

I believe it is the same in Massachusetts - -too bad you can't get parts inspected as you buy them... frame, engine, body (if it has a tag), etc....
    Then you can confidently put together an assembled vehicle.
    Should be easy to do by giving your local PD the number off the item... but I guess that makes too much sense.

18. That's exactly what I've done...checked numbers through InstaVin (subscription service) and DMV main office in Austin, bills of sale for each component with numbers listed and pencil tracing. These days you gotta CYA.

19. Kind of funny coming from a non-title state for these cars.

20. Noah*

Noah*

Think I'm going to try to use the engine number is not a serial number or vin. If anyone wants to write a paragraph stating that fact with your name and email it to me, that might be helpful. I've printed out the info but I would like some chevy "expert" testimony to submit.

21. Louie T

Louie T
    from California

Dude go get ur car and don't ever put anything on it that has any numbers that look like the abortion in the pic you posted. If the cops wanted to be dicks they wouldn't let you have ANYTHING off that car. Obviously they sympathize with your situation but you have to know they can't let you keep that motor without an investigation. Count your blessing Bro. These guys are willing to work with you and let you have your car, so that counts as one...a big one.

22. Noah*

Noah*

I haven't heard when I can pull the engine yet. I have another engine, thats not the point. I'm not going to just let them have it, I am at least going to present my case. Maybe by presenting this someone else might not have to go through it down the road.
    I will get my car back this week, install the other engine and trailer it to The Invasion Car Show here in Dallas on the 31st.

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

As a side note, do you have any more pictures of the car?

24. Noah*

Noah*

Heres some more pics...

Attached Files:

25. k9racer

k9racer

noah if you cant get your engine back make a trip to north Alabama and I will GIVE you a running non altered number legal 350 engine. I removed it from a monty carlo we made into a race car. This will let get your car on the road... Fuel cost may not make this not worth the effort................................................. I hate this happened to you but many police do not understand cars or the people who enjoy them. Several example's I have experenced The local Police not knowing old cars dont have seat belts or turn signals or only one tail light on a 48 A D chevy truck. I could add a lot more.. Good Luck. I hope others can learn by your bad experence...... Bobby..

26. This is yet another case of "guilty before proven innocent". Law "enforcement' and prosecutors lay the onus of the defendant having to prove his innocence, rather than proving the defendant guilty. And, with laws that allow LE to confiscate and use/sell confiscated property before even a trial occurs, does anyone really wonder WHY people do NOT trust cops these days???

All I can say to the OP is "good luck"...you are going to need it. Using that engine with an alleged "ID" number that was unreadable was not a wise thing on your part (all it says is where and when it was assembled!). Doesn't make what's happened right. And when you get your car back, minus engine and other bits, you won't receive so much as an apology, while they squeeze you for "storage fees" and towing charges. What a country.

27. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

No the cops would not have done this,.......... The thief would have done this when he/they boosted the nomad back in the day to try and make the number not readable. Some states used the engine numbers of cars instead of the Vin plate number, (even up into the 60's) Also it was pretty common on tri fives for the vin plate to come loose and fall off the A pilar and be lost. Anyhow Your only hope for getting that engine back is to come up with the documents that show where CO reassigned a Vin number to that Nomad and it was sold from the junkyard with that engine in it. otherwise be happy they are going to atleast let you keep the rest of the car. I have heard horror stories where guys lost everything for having a part from a stolen car on their hot rod. Goodluck with this, I hope it turns out in your favor.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Every year at Bike Week in Daytona, Florida the authorities are out in force, checking lots of bikes for stolen parts. I guess it is even a bigger problem in the motorcycle world than it is in our car world. I have heard stories of them going down a row of bikes parked at a saloon and confiscating ones with parts they can identify as stolen. How they do it I am not certain, but they have some system, evidently.

Don

29. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Also, this is one of the biggest reasons why trying to do the right thing and getting a bonded title (basicly having Cops treat you like a crook) is not all that appealing to many hotrodders. Some would rather spend (sometimes as much as a grand for an old original title and just use it) I know it is not exactly the right way but many have been doing it for years. Just saying

30. Model T1

Model T1

On the plus side of all of this maybe they are trying to help car and bike owners. If we are the person with the car or bike with stolen parts we may not think it's helpful. But if we are missing our toys we'd like something to be done.
    There have been several cars reported on here this past year and as far as I know the owners are still without them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.