Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-Bucket tow bar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magsnubby, Oct 28, 2010.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I want to set my T-Bucket up so i can flat tow it (i'll be redoing it this winter and i'll need to tow it to the muffler shop and the upholstery shop). I tried an old VW tow bar i have laying around but there isn't enough room between the shocks and it's just a few inches off the blacktop. Anyone have any ideas?

2. custom make something that will fit , get some steel and weld it up

3. Rebel 1

Rebel 1

x2 on that

4. barry wny

barry wny

5. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

How? Make it VW style? What would i use to pad it with to keep it from scratching the axle? Bolt some brackets to the frame to attach the tow bar to? Close my eyes, start welding stuff together and hope it works?

I've never built a tow before. I just need some ideas.

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is a Reese universal adjustable tow bar I use on my Zipper and a Jeep. Camping World stocks them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  7. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

What are the brackets bolted to? The axle?

8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I used 1/2" grade 8 stainless steel bolts and some shims to make sure that the brackets are parallel. Painted them red to match the paint on the axle and you really don't notice them .

9. Muttley

Muttley

It would be easier/cheaper to find a friend with a trailer or to call a tow truck. Do you have AAA?

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Last year I trailered my Zipper to Scottsdale. On the way over to the show friday AM, the fuel pump crapped out. I had put the tow bar in the back of the truck at the last minute and my wife was able to drive over and I was hooked by in 5 minutes. No way she could have hitched the trailer, etc. I also use the tow bar to pull the Zipper behind several different vehicles when i take them in for service. Convenient and nobody has to follow me or drop me off.

11. derpr

derpr

I bought one at habor freight

12. Muttley

Muttley

Well yeah, of course if you are going a long distance it would be stupid to pay a tow truck to do it. He's taking the car to a muffler shop and to have the interior done. It's not worth the time/effort for the tow bar IMO.

13. If he can weld up a tow bar then he surely can weld up an exhaust on a t-bucket, there's not much to them.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That statement doesn't hold water. Most of us can easily weld up a tow bar but I'll drag or drive everything I own to my muffler guy to have it done right.

Magsnubby, I've always hooked my towbars to the frame on the rods I was working on. I towed my T bucket From McGregor Tx to Waco to my bosses shop a bunch of times to work on it and then towed it home again with a tow bar bolted to the frame rails. Some I beam cars don't like to be towed around corners very well though. Plan on tying the steering down with a bungie cord from the wheel to something solid to keep it under control.

15. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

Last year i had my '56 Chevy towed to a muffler shop. It cost me $42 each way. I'll be taking the T-Bucket to the muffler shop, upholstery shop, and most likely to the shop to have a gas tank built. That'll add up pretty quick. Plus i don't have to wait around for the tow truck to show up. And i hate trailers.

Yes i can weld. I have an arch plus a small mig. But there's a lot of difference in welding up a tow bar or some brackets. I don't have the patients to weld exhaust tubing and make it look decent. Plus i'd windup fucking with it all day where as the muffler guy could do it a couple of hours.

I'm just looking for some ideas of where and how to make some brackets to attach the tow bar.