Register now to get rid of these ads!

T bucket stall speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hugh m, Jun 17, 2013.

1. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hey guys, what would be a good stall speed for a th 350 transmission in a steel T roadster, matbe 15-1600 pounds? Have a Pontiac Super Duty four,183 cubes, pretty serious cam, two barrell holley, etc.and a quick change rear. Trans has a shift kit. Am thinking about 2000 to 2300 RPM stall for the street? Picking up the trans this week, and want to get it all assembled. Thanks.

2. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Whats the cam range? Two barrel holley-500cfm?
    2000 stall starts sponging around 1600rpm locks in at 2000. Hows that fit your cam range?
    Sounds like sum fun on the open road.
    I looked at cams for the 2.3 in my modified and some of the more serious didn't even begin to wake up until around 3000.

3. Ole don

Ole don

The old trick used to be to buy a rebuilt converter for a small garbage truck with a T 350. It was about 2000 RPM's stock. Or, have the rebuilder make you up a Powerglide converter with 350 guts. Again, 2000 to 2300. I like your choice of engine, it sounds like fun!

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

This short block came from Steve Benoit's dragster that won the Gators in '92. I replaced his super trick head (14 to 1, gigantic raised ports), with my own stock Super Duty one, am guessing I got the compression down maype two points, but still have his roller cam, aluminum rods, etc. It originally had 335 H.P. hope to have 225 to 250 now, but with the cam maybe a higher stall is needed? Hopefully my wife will be able to drive it, that's why I'm wondering....could buy a cam cheap enough, but this really is a nice motor. Kind of feel bad detuning it at all.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Higher than you might think. Put a 3,000 in it and you will love it. My Son is running a 3,000 in his light bucket (built 306 sbf radical roller cam) and my other Son is running a 3,000 in his rpu (built 468 Olds also cammed up) and both of them are just about right. No lurch going into gear, no pull at red lights, and they launch hard.

Some guys on the bucket forums are running even higher stalls than that and rave about them.

Don

6. From the title, I thought you were going to try to get it to fly.

7. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Im thinking thats what its gonna do!

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Thanks for the replies, got a 3000 /3300 RPM TCI unit at cost from my tranny guy, (have to remove the tabs for it to fit), hope to put it all together this weekend.