Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Blue One likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Interesting Fred. Thinking outside the norm and using something like this is what hot rodding is all about.
    I’m curious to see how it might work.
    Sounds like it might be good.

loudbang, Dick Stevens and tfeverfred like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have a question for you guys that have done a T Bucket interior or worked with ABS sheets or Luan wood in general. Will a 1/8" Luan panel make that inside curve in a T Bucket body? Or would ABS panel be better and if so, how thin?

I know the cast stuff I found would work, but if I used Luan or an ABS sheet, I could make the panels all one piece.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Fred, I haven't done a T-Bucket interior but I can tell you that lauan plywood will not form like ABS will.

loudbang likes this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay. How thick could I go with the ABS sheets?

loudbang likes this.
  6. ABS panels are the way to go; they can be easily shaped with a heat gun. Here's a pic of a one piece rear window panel my daughter-in-law shaped out of ABS for a '33 sedan she trimmed. If you get a full wrap with ABS in a sedan; T bucket quarters should go pretty good.
    rear panel.jpg

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Rich. That's an awesome job! I also did a search and found this thread:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/abs-plastic-and-door-panels.318310/

Reads like it can be stapled into, which is a plus. Do you know what thickness she used?

loudbang likes this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I used 1/8” Fred.

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. The more I looked at Luan, the less moisture resistant it looked. It gets VERY humid here and I was also known for driving my old T in the rain on occasion (not planned showers). So, ABS looks like the way to go. Homedepot has heat guns for $25. This a slight change in plans, but that's why I research stuff so much.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I would prefer to go with at least 3/16 for more strength, but you might want to check and see what you have available locally instead of having to order it online.

loudbang likes this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's available here in assorted thicknesses and locally. So, when I go shopping, I'll compare and make my choice then. I'm sure the people who work there will be a big help, too.

loudbang likes this.
  12. 36fordguy

36fordguy

THeverfres - I Do a lot of forming ABS panels and I use thin sheets ( 1/16" Thk) and glue them togethet with ABS black plumbers glue the thinner sheets are easy to bend and form without heating them. If you heat them they warp real easy. -36fordguy

loudbang likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Then, how does it hold it's shape after you bend it?

loudbang likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

1/8” is plenty strong and more than enough for any interior panel.
    Besides trying to form 3/16” ABS would be practically impossible with a heat gun.

1/8” itself can be tricky as there is a point in heating it where it will bend and stay relatively smooth and flat.

A tiny bit more heat than that and you have permanent wrinkles and hills :D :eek:

Not fun and it’s easy to create a pile of scrap plastic while you are making your panels.
    Ask me how I know :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    loudbang, dana barlow and das858 like this.
  15. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You have more experience working with it than I have so I will accept your opinion on this.

loudbang likes this.
  16. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

1/8th luan has always been the staple for years in a t interior. i have used it on many a t. what you do is make a poster board form inside the bucket and cut it to fit. then transfer it to to the luan. soak it with water for quite a while and then put it inside the bucket and clamp it,screw it or whatever and leave it till it dries out.

loudbang likes this.
  17. 36fordguy

36fordguy

Hard to describe but here goes - I put duck from the back side to the other edge back side (like opening of the letter "C") to the curve I want I laminate a second layer to the inside of the first piece starting at one edge and only gluing the section where the curve is matching- let glue harden- readjust duck tape to tighten or loosen curve- add more glue between the layers of ABS- Let the glue harden- most of the time I can match the curve with two or three glue application. Once the two laminates dry they will hold their shape -36fordguy

loudbang likes this.
  18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What's "quite a while"?

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think I get what you're doing. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sorry if I offended you Dick with my comment.

Wasn’t what I was going for.

Edited accordingly.

21. hotrodscott2003

hotrodscott2003

Here's mine. Black with white pleated inserts, custom piping that matches the color of the car.

upload_2017-10-22_1-56-34.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-22_1-59-30.jpeg
    upload_2017-10-22_2-0-1.jpeg

22. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have magazines from the early 70/s showing how to wood the inside of a glass bucket. if you are a old fart like me that was awhile back. hahaha

loudbang likes this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

loudbang likes this.
  24. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i like the black and white interior , excellent work and execution

loudbang likes this.
  25. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Beautiful work. I think I'm going to TRY and take advantage of the extra room I'll have and make my back panel about 3"-4" thick. With the back panel starting up and tilting back, where the kick up on the frame is, loss of space would be minimal. That's what my sketches tell me, anyway.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    DaPeach likes this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was searching solutions for the back piece and found this website:
    http://www.catalinacustom.com/showc...case_gallery_street_rods_23_ford_t_bucket.htm

It shows a few ideas on making an interior in a T Bucket. What caught my eye was a possible solution for the back panel. I'm assuming two pieces, one on each side, were used. What I don't like is the amount of interior space it appears to use. Maybe a couple pieces that narrow as they approach the top edge of the body. That would create a slant to mount a back piece to.
    1926-t-bucket-custom-interior-019.jpg

The CCR body has a 1 1/2" ledge that would support 2 or 3 sloped pieces. They could be 'glassed in with minimal effort.
    Inside Dimension szd (1).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  28. Have driven from Liverpool to South of France and Spain many times sitting in 2CV seats. Very comfortable - the problem comes when the rubber bands perish and the canvas strip rots. You end up sitting on the floor.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. murpa

murpa
    from .

30. atch

atch

WC145, murpa and RICH B like this.