Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-bird Guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Betruger, Aug 19, 2008.

1. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

Heres my 1962 Thunderbird.
    [​IMG]

2. BTTT- Still a few seats available...

3. Another time around- :D

4. Im in with my 62 landau

5. anybody else?

6. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

im in with a 63

7. willys1330

willys1330

Im in with my 55 !

8. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

Im in with a 69 I know it doesnt meet the year but its lowered and has AR 200s 10x15 and 8x15
    and my son has a 64 and I used to own a 62
    I just like tbirds

9. Since I'm killing time and procrastinating at wrapping Xmas presents, here's a couple of favorite pics of my '63, one taken at Carhenge near Alliance, NE and the other on Historic US Hwy 12 in southern Idaho 3 years ago on my way home from the Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l. Convention in Portland, OR, where it took Best of Show-Driven (all 5000+ miles to/from Olathe, KS). This is the pic that was used on the front cover of the Nov-Dec '05 VTCI's "Thunderbird Scoop" magazine (I used to edit it in the late '80s-'90s). Now I need to spend some time detailing for World of Wheels in Omaha in late March.

T_bird Guy from Pella, you may recognize it as I'm the guy you helped out with the bad Pertronix ignition coil going into Goodguys KC a couple of years ago. Still have the chrome coil installed as my "mod."

Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l. www.vintagethunderbirdclub.org
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Attached Files:

10. 61TBird

61TBird

Welcome Alan,
    It's great to see you on here!

11. bttt-

12. BigMikeC

BigMikeC

Can I play too?

Attached Files:

13. Finally got a couple of pics of the 56
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Nice '56. I can't see any cowl vents though???

15. Yep they just kind of blended out in the photo. Look closely, they are there. It's a real 56, note the emblems and upholstery. It's an early car too, no portholes in the top.

16. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Mine's been parked in the basement since '77. It's listed in Hemmings this month, if it doesn't sell I guess I need to do the brakes and fuel system and drive it. My father bought it new, it only has 16,000 miles on it. Notice the passenger car wheel covers and the lack of fender skirts, it was ordered that way.

I'd really rather have a rough one that I could cut up. I'd like to put a hemi and a 4 speed in one, with a set of Torq-thrusts wheels. Classic hot rod T-bird.

Attached Files:

• 101.jpg
      101.jpg
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

[​IMG]Mine........ It up for SALE...

SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD

Located in North Jersey

1955 Thunderbird Project Car. - BEST OFFER

Selling my 1955 Thunderbird Project car. I just dont have time or the effort to finish this project. I have decided to thin out some of my projects and this will be the first to go.. I need the garage room and this would make a great winter project for someone..

Im going to try to list as much as possible. If there should be some questions I will gladly respond to any and all inquiries.

First of all this is a project and requires work.. If you do not have the shop or the time to do this project don't dream about this car. Go buy a restored car. I have the ability to finish the Bird to a very presentable driver My original intentions with this bird was to build a low ride custom for my wife. Im not a nut case that has to have an original car. Or a pristine original... You on the other hand could easily go either way in your choice of finishing.

I have included a substantial amount of links that show the car from my time of purchase up till about 2 years ago... I will gladly shoot additional photos for interested parties..

A Little history on the vehicle...
    Purchased new in Califorina and lived its life there up until it was purchased by a restoration shop in Oregon. This particular shop ran into finiancial problems and was forced to sell off many of thier project cars. I purchased this car in 2001... This car was a pretty much rust free vehicle... Still has the original inner rocker panels... the dog legs are in great shape.. Lower Front fenders, doors and quarter are as solid the body mounts are perfect condition and as the day it was sold.

I literally spent hours on my back cleaning the underside of the body and stripping the old cracking undercoating.. My intention was to recoat the bottom using Rhino Liner... Floors are all solid ... I did some small overlay patching in the foot wells but the under seat pan is in very nice condition... The left rear quarter panel on the vehicle was replaced sometime in its life... I found no noticable frame miss alignment or frame damage...

The underside of the body and chassis was high pressure washed and degreased. The bottom side of the vehicle needs a little bit of addtional clean up and it is ready to be masked primed and painted. I have a brand new exhaust system from headers to the tail pipes. I substituted the factory original mufflers for a nice set of glass packs. Not shown in pictures as the bottom should be finished before doing the underside assembly. NEW rear shocks..

Over the years I have collected a substantial amount of parts that were missing as well as new parts that would be use in the rebuilding of the vehicle. I have bounced back and forth on the course I would take with the vehicle be it a semi body on restoration to a kustom low ride cruiser... My last Idea was to literally go a Miami Style Kustom... incorporating lowered suspension, chrome wire wheels, wide whites, Kustom Pearl White Paint (Lincoln Silver White Pearl) job and Pearl white rolled and pleated kustom interior... Again this was my choice.

To the best of my Knowledge the engine was change somewhere back to the larger 312 cu in thunderbird motor.. I checked the compression when I got the vehicle and all cylinders were holding 120LBS + and there was no big variable in the readings... I have the later model intake wide base carb as my intentions were to change to the edlebrock preformer carb as it is far more reliable than the original carb...

The list goes on and on...
    I have a new Windshield and Side Glass
    I do not have the convertible top... I have the original hardtop (Non Port Hole)

Windows are Manual
    Seat is NOW POWER.. I purchased the needed acme motor drives.
    Seat frame is in nice condition.

The wiring has been stripped out of the car... Needs a total rewire. I would go with one of the after market kits (Ron Francis or Easy Wire) there all about the same and very simple to follow to obtain a real professional job. 55 birds were 6 volt originally and I would never build a car using the 6 volt system. I have found that a Dodge Alternator (12 Volt) is so close to the original generator mounting it almost appears to be a bolt on installation... The original 6 Volt starter will handle 12 volts all day long. that would not be a problem..

I will offer the car with the option of Single 4 Barrel Carb or a 3 - 2's set up.. Carbs on the 3-2's will need to be rebuilt.

The Wide Whites are great tread wise but starting to shows signs of dry rot. I do have a NEW set of Bias Ply white walls but they are the narrow white (1 inch) style... The car can go either way

Well that should pretty much give you an Idea as to what is her along with the pictures you make the decision as to your ability and time to take on a project of the magnitude...

I would say that a good shop should be able to have this car on the road by spring of next year if you are looking to make a nice desireable driver... Full restoration will take time.....

If you have a real interest and the money... Im open to questions and can help you with locating parts and such for this car... All in all its pretty much complete.. But does require time and effort.. I guess I cant express that enough. The current state of the vehicle is sitting on jack stands in my garage. I have new Front and Rear springs and will gladly put the car back to a rolling state so it can be moved on a trailer... I will need to have a commitment (Non Refundable Deposit) if Im going to spend time putting it back together for transport...

I literally have bins full of parts for this car and its going to take some time to put all the parts together for the sale but I will promose it I have the parts you will get them should I miss any for the transaction... I literally have accumulated so much stuff over the years that my garage now has 2 cars that I cannot get out of the garage due my pack rat style of collecting.

NOTE THE FOLLOWING PHOTOS ARE NOT IN ORDER... THESE SHOW THE WORK THAT HAS BEEN DONE OVER THE YEARS THAT I OWNED THE VEHICLE.....

SLIDE SHOWS give your the progress on the carf from 2001 to date by year

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/...rd/1955 Thunderbird 2001/?albumview=slideshow

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/...rd/1955 Thunderbird 2002/?albumview=slideshow

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/...rd/1955 Thunderbird 2004/?albumview=slideshow

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/...rd/1955 Thunderbird 2008/?albumview=slideshow

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/...rd/1955 Thunderbird 2009/?albumview=slideshow

$14,000 With Spare Parts...
    OFFERS ........ Without extra parts

If your interested click on my profile and EMAIL me....

I dont use my PM that often

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  18. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Yes, I knew it was, I know 'em like the back of my hand. just couldn't see'm and wondered if someone had removed them. (For some stupid reason!)

Also 56's had optional portholes. 55's not and 57 had to be ordered without as an option. Or so I've always been told. On my 55 I have a NON porthole 57 top.
    Your car is a nice one.

19. That's a nice one!

20. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

See my 55 directly below your post.... Email me If you think you would be interested in making an Up/Down Swap..... Make sure that you check out the photo links.....

Rags To Richs..............
    Rich
    North Jersey

21. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

I'm in with my bagged '60.

22. SCHHHWINNNGGG! Damn, that's beautiful...

23. My understanding is that early 56 cars had no porthole like 55 but due to customer complaints about blind spots they added them in mid 56 to all cars and offered updates to earlier owners. They also sold tehm as kits.

Thanks

24. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

this guy should fit in.......

Attached Files:

25. Is that Lenny or Squigy? (sorry-I always got the 2 confused)....