Register now to get rid of these ads!

t-bird column

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteMattersen, Sep 19, 2007.

1. i have heard stories of a certain year t-bird that has a steering column that swings out of the way while you get in the car. can anyone tell me what year these columns came in? any info would be great
    thanks again,
    Matt

2. amsvette

amsvette

Late 1961 through '63 for sure. I'm pretty sure '64-'66 does as well. Search for Tbirdbrian or MoparBruce as they have been parting a few 'Birds lately.

3. yah about 10 seconds after i started this thread i saw unkl ian's up the page. oh well, Thanks for your help!

4. amsvette

amsvette

Keep in mind these are column shifted steering columns and you actually put it in park and move the shifter forward (or up, it's been a while since I've sat in one) and the wheel swings to the right. Anything converted to swing-away will need the column, the mount and keep it column shifted to work properly.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. jetmek

jetmek

my 64 had it....the column shift has plastic bushings and a neutral safety switch that wear out and are a real hassle to keep in working order

6. ahh feck, column shift is WEAKSAUCE in my opinion. so much for that idea

7. fast Ed

fast Ed

Some of the late 60s Mustangs and Cougars had that option as well. They were not column shift. :)

cheers
    Ed N.