Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T & A's are the backbone of hot rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 20, 2018.

1. I have always enjoyed seeing pics of your T. Great hot rod.:)

Nicholas Coe and hrm2k like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

After driving around in his lowered 51 yellow Olds 2 door sedan, my brother's teenage hot rod mind began to wander. His friend had a 33-34 Ford 5 window coupe with a big Olds engine for daily driving and drag racing. It could be done and it was something that the gas coupe class welcomed with open arms. It was modified, street class cars running against each other. His 51 Olds sedan seemed fast, but not as fast as that Ford 5 window with the big Olds motor.

So, one day, my brother came home with an idea. Let’s get a Model A Coupe and put in a 283 Chevy with some kind of injection or multiple carbs and a Chevy driveline. We had no idea that Hilborn Injection couldn’t be run on the street daily at the time, but they sure looked good on a SBC with those cool tubes sticking up in the air. We would then have a coupe for daily driving and for the drags. ( So, would I get the 51 Olds sedan for my first car? very cool indeed!)
    upload_2018-11-12_5-33-30.png
    He wanted a Model A coupe that looked similar to ones we saw at Lions and at the late 1959 Riverside Raceway meet. This red Model A with its open headers made a sound that was chilling. It was the one we wanted to make for our dual purpose hot rod. It had the "look, sound, and attitude" of what we had talked about for weeks.

upload_2018-11-12_3-43-6.png December 1959

Model A Riverside Raceway 1959 A/G coupe

So, the search for an old Model A was on and we immediately found one only a few miles from our house in Long Beach. It was almost hidden in some tall bushes in a backyard with a small tarp over the cab.

It took a little bargaining, but we finally towed the Model A home and began fixing it to run. It took new gas, new plugs, water, cleaning out the carb and a new battery to get it to fire up. For a young teen, it was my first driving trip around the block with the 4 cylinder huffing and puffing through open exhaust, as the pipe had rusted off.

Jnaki

Well, that lasted a very short time. My brother got wind of a new 1958 Impala with tons of horsepower, everything complete and supposedly, very fast. He had enough money saved up for this 280 hp 348 powered 3 speed stick shift Impala with 4:11 Positraction gears. (somehow, it had everything heavy duty, battery, shocks, springs, brakes, and support suspension) It was right off of the showroom floor at Cormier Chevrolet that was then, in downtown Long Beach.

He really wanted the top of the line 315 HP motor, but that would have taken a month of special ordering, a higher premium cost, and he wanted to get going at Lions right this weekend. Impatience for sure, so, bye-bye, Model A gas coupe ideas and build… We sold it to another neighbor and it disappeared.

Later versions of the Red Model A coupe we saw at Riverside back in 1959.

upload_2018-11-12_3-48-36.png Winternationals
    upload_2018-11-12_3-49-30.png
    vs Grist Bros. Willys

upload_2018-11-12_3-50-12.png
    Later: The new look... No wonder we liked this coupe. It was a Model A coupe built by Joe Pisano.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  3. I sorta like them both...
    74627-1241827252-2bef7389ce10526b3dc72221a914752a.jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW USA

I went to look for what I'd want in a T or A, and apparently I like them with big engines hanging out of them. I'd want a channeled '26-27 roadster, a '28-29 RPU, and a '30-31 coupe about like these.

Phil-cartozian-1927-ford-profile.jpg 01-20-2008122326PM.jpg
    new 4.JPG

Ron Funkhouser likes this.