Register now to get rid of these ads!

T & A progress- whatdya think?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trent, May 23, 2006.

1. trent

trent

DSC01080web.jpg DSC01078web.jpg
    Finally remembered to take the camera when I went to work on my hot rod. A quick rundown- model a frame (in front of the cowl anyways) , 26-27 t coupe body with 28-29 cowl, 53 hemi 331, saginaw 4 speed trans, rearend from 53 chrysler imperial (same as the engine), 48 ford front spring in the back, front spring and bones are model a, front axle is a dropped model a. Front of the frame is swept up, we made the rear adjustable so I'm not sure of the exact kick-up. Ride height should be around 6-7 inches off the ground. Will be chopped around 7-9 inches. That cowl actually fits on there a little better than it looks but it definitely needs work still. The cowl sides weren't as good as I thought they were so those in the picture are from Brookville. I've done almost all of the planning on this but don't have the fabrication skills yet. A friend of my dad's, who is a welder by trade, has been doing a lot of the actual fabrication. This is the first hot rod he's ever worked on so it's been a learning experience for both of us I think. I'd say it's looking fairly good that I'll be driving it by the end of the summer but we'll see. What do you guys think of the project so far?

2. chiefbobber

chiefbobber
    from NH

I for one like it, always had a soft spot for T coupes

3. J.Switchblade

J.Switchblade
    from Minnesota

i think it looks killer. it will be a cool ride when its done. i live in st cloud too, just moved here.

4. slim53

slim53

Cool car. I like the A cowl with the T body. What do plan on running for an engine?............slim

sorry. replied before fully reading the post

5. trent

trent

Come on, no one wants to tell me my car sucks? Anything you guys would change or do to it?

6. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

trent, your car SUCKS! :eek: :D
    Any special plans on mating that cowl to the coupe? I've been kicking around a T-coupe turned roadster, maybe with an early A cowl....looks cool. If that were mine, I'd either drop the body down lower, or I'd just lower the front a bit more to give it a little more rake. You're off to a great start dude,
    JOYO

7. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

actually, are you planning on chopping it. It might be fine if you're gonna chop it. I do like them stock height, but they've got to be LOW and raked, sinister! T-coupes are awesome!
    JOYO

8. trent

trent

Yep it's gonna have more rake. The rear is adjustable and the tires are just whatever we had laying around. When I actually buy tires the rears will be a little taller and the fronts maybe a bit smaller. Then I will play around with the adjustable spring perch in the back to make it look mean. It will be getting a big chop as well (7-9 inches). We were just talking about how to mate that cowl up today actually. I've got the complete front pillars from the model A so those will probably get sacrificed. It actually matches up a lot better than it looks in those pictures. We are working this weekend on it so I should have more pictures as long as I remember the camera.

9. CedarSpeed

CedarSpeed

wtf ok stop right now ! I thought you said t&A . sorry i'm just jealous because i haven't started on my t coupe yet looks good hopefully i'll be on that road soon. the cowl looks to be very cool I think 8" is all she'll need --i mean on the top get your minds out of the gutter.

later:D

10. purple

purple

Here is a pic of my friend's T&A coupe. Runnin the A 4 banger.

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.
  11. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I wouldn't chop it, at least not that much. Mines cut about 6 inches and thats too much. But somebody else cut it before I found it.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Looking good so far, I chopped a customers T (7") and it looked right. Plan on chopping my coupe that much as well. Its a couple of projects down the road yet, and am still acquiring parts for it. Perhaps I'll see your car around.
    Later, Joel

13. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

Looks great so far. You might want to try setting in the car and looking thru the windshield frame for a bit before you chop it. The windshield is not as high as side glass. Mine is not chopped and I have to stay back from stoplights to see them.

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

On the chop I did, I narrowed the original windsheild header 2" to allow for more glass and even the proportions.

15. trent

trent

I already have it drawn on there with a marker to narrow it 2 inches. It looks funny to leave it all but taking it all off looks goofy as well. Thanks for telling me, at least I know someone's done it before.

Dannerr likes this.
  16. 61bone

61bone

I'm 6 ' and I am constantly ducking my head and craning my neck just to see out. There is not enough headroom, I have a constant crick in my neck, so the inch thick pad I call a seat is being dropped into the floor 3 inches My coupe has a four inch channel and a 7 inch chop. I am planning on raising the header to make it easier to see out and small sunroof makes the lights a little easier, but is not the total answer. Even if you don't channel it I still wouldn't go over 7 inches. Your neck will love you. If you care, any more will make a wiper impossible Radical rakes suck, but do give it a little attitude. Is it an uncomfortable ride? yes. Would I lift the lid back up? not a chance.

17. DD

DD
    from illinois

Kat's ass, T coupes are neat as hell...

18. purple

purple

My friend's pictured T&A has the stock A windshield with the T part chopped. It has a seam down the side in front of the doors where he put the T door frame to the A cowl. He fitted the T visor to the A windshield too.

Dannerr likes this.