Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 what gear oil to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by felix37, May 24, 2009.

1. felix37

felix37

I have just instaled the t-5 behind my flatty and used the technical info that was posted on the HAMB.The article said that the 86-87 non world class should use straight 70-wt oil,not ATF.My question is where do you find this stuff? I have tried O'reilly's,autozone,GM and I'm currently at the NSRA nationals this weekend and the AMSOIL guy's are here and they don't know of such a thing,they did recomend synchromesh gear oil.can anyone help!! thank's jonathan

2. I read several T-5 threads, and the general consensus seems to be; run synthetic ATF in all of them.

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

I just put Dex/Mercon in mine.

Everything I've read says Dexron III, supposed to be the same as what I used.

4. ALL World Class T-5 use ATF oil and NOT heavy gear oil or Redline MTL! All NON-World Class T-5 use 70 wt gear oil. We recommend high quality Synthetic oil as it lasts a long time and over a larger operating temperature.

5. t5stang91

t5stang91

i use royal purple , but i beat the shit out my stuff

6. Ole don

Ole don

I run an old second hand non WC T5 behind a flatty, I run plain old Dexron ATF. Been beatin the crap out of it for years. Check the level once a year and look underneath for oil spots.

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

The original NWC did call for 70wt gear oil. Later, most of the mfgrs didn't differentiate between WC & NWC when specifying ATF.

I run synthetic ATF even in my NWC boxes and have done for years. No issues for me so far. Shifts are smoother & easier with the ATF vs the 70wt oil.

Some folks do report good results with Redline's MTL or GM's synchromesh in the NWC trannys...

8. Snarl

Snarl

Factory GM shop manuals say ATF regardless of year/application or WC/NWC.

Synthetic ATF seems to be the preferred oil to use.

9. 61falcon

61falcon

i run fords motorcraft mercon V, its a synthetic atf.

10. bill3337

bill3337

I tried synthetic in mine, but actually liked the feeling of it better with GM ATF in it, so I drained it and refilled it with Dextron III, although I do use a little additive in it.

11. The factory sticker on the side of the case of the one I've got says to use Dextron.

12. George G

George G

I used GM Syncromesh transmission oil.

13. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I always ran syntehtic ATF in my 90 LX Mustang. I tired synthetic 70 weight once but it didnt shift as smooth.

I used to drop the clutch at 5 grand with slicks and never had a problem with the ATF.

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That's a WC T5 - do NOT run 70wt in that one...

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

I use redline MTL. in my 2 NWC T5's. no problems.

The Mustang kids I knew ran regular ATF and beat the shit out of them and occasionally lose 3rd gear due to driver enthusiasm, not lubricating problems.