Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 Transmission Shifter Riser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gas pumper, Feb 29, 2008.

1. gas pumper

gas pumper

Digin thru the scap pile yesterday, I find a 1 inch thick slab of aluminum. Just the right size for a shifter riser for my S-10 t-5.
    It had a few holes existing that won't be in the way.
    So using the existing shifter for a pattern, I drilled for the 4 bolts, and hogged out a 2 inch square in the center of the area where the shift finger comes thru.
    This shifter was sloppy. when disassembling, the cross pin was broken.
    A new hole was drilled one inch up the shaft from where the old pin goes thru. I left the old pin in and cut off the remainding stub. Drilled and reamed for a press fit on a 5/16 rod 1.900 long.
    Reassemble shifter, buy longer Metric bolts, put the whole thing on the trans,
    The shifter stroke was 5 1/2 in. before now is 4 in. and it feels a lot tighter because of fixing the broken pin.

This picture is from the top, front is towards the left, the extra lenght is at the rear. the extra holes are not where there's oil.

Frank

Attached Files:

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Interesting - would love to see the completed assembly. Don't worry too much about oil getting out of holes on a shifter top - some of the early shifters were actually vented with just an open hole. No real oil should be in the shifter box anyway (although I usually fill mine there!)

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

I didn't take a pic of the whole thing, this piece is just a spacer to move the whole shifter plate 1 inch higher.
    I was a little disapointed that the throw only went fron 5 1/2 to 4, but this is with a stock lenght handle.
    Your right about the oil, it will only leak out the breather when the trans is upsidedown.

Frank

4. if you check out www.stovebolt.com and do a search "T5" their is a complete write up on doing this, good reading