Register now to get rid of these ads!

T-5 Swap onto an older SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darby, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Darby

Darby

I really want to shift my own gears, but a TH350 came with the engine I picked up (also came with the rest of the car, but that's another problem). Automatic shift levers just don't look right in what is supposed to be a "hot" rod, if you ask me. So I'm thinking about getting a T-5 (or, if the Junkyard Gods smile upon me when the Traditional Gods aren't looking, a T-56), and operate it with a hydraulic clutch set-up. If I come across a newer tranny that was meant for the newer, two piece rear main SBC's, what do I need to get to bolt it up to a 1970 350?

Forgive me for such a basic question, but I am a simple Mopar man, who knows little of these things you call "Chevrolets."

2. Scotch

Scotch

www.t56kit.com

I'm doing the same thing. I'll have tons more info by mid-Feb. This guy is good, and his stuff is top notch. That's why I went with it.

Scotch~!

3. Elrusto

Elrusto

I "BELIEVE" that all you would have to do is use a pre-86 (2 piece rear main)flywheel and every thing else should bolt up.

NEXT...........

4. jerry

jerry

just use the matching flywheel and bell housing. i just got done putting a t-5 behind a 350 in my truck. used an 11 inch pressure plate with the camaro clutch disc to match the tranny input shaft. used an aluminum bellhousing from an 80's chevy van. using an hydraulic pull type slave cylinder. should be no problem to do in your rod. this is in a 50 chev pu.

alot better in overdrive on the freeway now!

jerry

5. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    I really want to shift my own gears, but a TH350 came with the engine I picked up (also came with the rest of the car, but that's another problem). Automatic shift levers just don't look right in what is supposed to be a "hot" rod, if you ask me. So I'm thinking about getting a T-5 (or, if the Junkyard Gods smile upon me when the Traditional Gods aren't looking, a T-56), and operate it with a hydraulic clutch set-up. If I come across a newer tranny that was meant for the newer, two piece rear main SBC's, what do I need to get to bolt it up to a 1970 350?

Forgive me for such a basic question, but I am a simple Mopar man, who knows little of these things you call "Chevrolets."

[/ QUOTE ]

I am running a t5 out of a newer camero behind my 70 sbc. Chevy unlike mopar or ford had a better idea, you can mix and match at your will not theirs. The type rear main seal has NO effect on which transmission you can run. Chevy has one manual tranny to bellhousing bolt pattern and the depth of the bellhousings are all the same, ie the lenght of the pilot shafts are the same. Go get your tranny, bell housing and match your pressure plate to fly wheel and clutch disk to pilot shaft. Then drive it and have fun, pm me if you have any questions i have done several.